what is this grass seed?

My town recently ripped up my lawn near the road for some construction. When it was done, they replanted the lawn with stuff I had never seen before. It looked like small blue-green chunks. But it grew fantastic grass very quickly. what is this stuff? I've only used regular seed before, but I'd love to buy some of this blue-green clumpy stuff. Thanks.

Reply to
mannybraff

That's hydraulic mulch, which is made of cellulose. It's purpose is to absorb water and keep the seed moist while it germinates. It's widely used to do hydroseeding, where they spray it out of a truck. It can also be hand applied for small jobs.

Many of the home center stores sell products which are hydraulic mulch, seed, and fertilizer mixed and bagged together for patching. You can also buy the hydraulic mulch by itself, which allows you to use seed of your own choice, but I have only seen it sold that way at agri/landscape distributors.

It does work very well in getting good germination, especially if you need to do it at the wrong time of year. I still can't figure out why they can't make it so it's really green though. The ones I've seen are more blue than green.

Reply to
trader4

Look here:

great!