Weird Grass?

OK, first I am in SE PA if that means anything. My lawn is a blend of bluegrass and fescues with the latter dominating. Lately, I've been getting these clumps of yellow/green grass. They are individual shoots with somewhat larger blades than fescues. The stuff grows faster than the rest of the lawn. That is I can mow and two days later, this weird grass is already two inches higher than the lawn. It's somewhat easy to pull if you grasp it by the crown. However, there is enough that I am losing the pulling war.
Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Dean
Dean A. Markley wrote:

You left out the part about getting lots of rain recently, which occurred in your area. Lots of water plus high temps combined with your description and I'd say what you have is nutsedge. Basagran and Manage are effective. Conventional broadleaf weedkiller won't do anything.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net said:

omg we agree =)
--
Eggs

Do stars clean themselves with meteor showers?

So that's what that is. I've got too. Thanks for the tip.

I agree that this would be nutsedge. I have this scourge in west central NJ and it is indeed the enemy. It seems to have come in over the last couple of years. The theory ( :-] ) in our neighborhood is that someone has sowed the area with this only to wait for it to fully take and then come out with the specific antidote and make a fortune. Tomes

So in looking at the stuff on the net about Manage I see that it is not available in my NJ. Why is this? Tomes
Tomes wrote:

I'm pretty sure I saw it for sale at the local ACE hardware store here. They definitely had a nutsege control product in a small envelope for around $15 and I'm pretty sure it was Manage. Also, LESCO sells it and shows it in stock in many of their NJ locations.

Thanks Trader, much appreciated I will try those. Tomes
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:35:53 -0400, "Dean A. Markley"

I seem to be getting the same grass too. NE PA here.
I send my 4 year old out to pick them. That's the only suggestion. I've heard this 'weird grass' is very much grass like, so anything that would kill it, will kill your grass.
:(
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com
08-07-2006 4:25:36 PM

blend of

been

shoots

than

weird

easy to

I am

What you are describing sounds like the nutgrass prevalent here in the midwest. It is also known as yellow nutsedge. I use trimec plus, which is safe for most desired grasses, but will stomp out crabgrass and nutgrass in addition to all the broadleaf weeds. Here is a link which might help, there is a link to a picture:
http://msucares.com/crops/weeds/nut.html

Not familar with trimec, just the big advertised stuff. Is it easily available at the big box stores(like HD)?
thanks,
tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com