Weedwackers

Just to poll the newsgroup, I have found a couple things that make weedwackers work well. #1, do single wound, not double wound string. i.e. only wind one roll of string and one piece coming out of one of the eyelets. Leave the other end wound on top of by the wound string you are using. #2, I think the smaller string welds and binds because the inner spool, outer spool, and then the string gets hot when you use it for a long time. So, dip the spool in a bucket of ice water for a couple of minutes if it's hot outside or you're using it for a long time.
Anyone had similar success with single wound string?

I use #90 commercial grade double wound string in my Toro trimmer. I can edge 60 feet of drive and 80 feet of curbing, usually with 1 or 2 bumps of the reel. I bought a $10 spool about 9 years ago when I bought the trimmer. It's red in color and hard to cut with a regular pocket knife. I must still have 1/2 of it and see no reason to change.
Tom J
My weedwacker is Bolens; is Toro a commercial grade trimmer? Would the commercial grade work in my Bolens BL 100?

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:41:26 +0000, Brian White wrote:

I use a husqvarna commercial trimmer and I can say with out a doubt that commercial trimmers do not use .90 string. Most commercial trimmers use .105 or better. Double line is way better than single line (cuts twice as much in half the time) and the melting you get is due to the head overheating. The overheating is most likely due to the overly heavy workload for the string size or due to the geardrive in the head overheating. The geardrive would be overheating if it is low on grease or if it's cheap and made for lighter work. Btw, dunking your trimmerhead into ice water is just plain silly. If you feel the need to that, then you need a better trimmer that can handle your workload.
Many homeowner trimmer will come with .80 string but many of them can handle .90 without any problems. They reccommend .80 string.... so they can sell more string. .90 string will last quite a bit longer if it is good quality.
--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com

Can't do that; can't afford another weed wacker. Want to work with the one I've got.
Brian
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:16:32 +0000, Brian White wrote:

Go to a .90 line (if you can) and slow down your head speed. If you keep overheating the head and quick cooling it (water dunking) you'll end up warping something. Besides lots of water has no place in the gearhousing of the unit.
--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com

I just left a mower repair place trying to get my starter rope replaced. I have a Sears trimmer and the guy at the shop said it's the worst one to work on, he says he has to take the whole thing apart just about and will charge me a minimum of one hour labor ($55.00) to change the starter rope.
He suggested the Echo, he advised they are easy to work on and last a long time. He also said the lawn maintenance people all use them because of the ease of maintenance and long life of the machine.
He suggested I go buy another trimmer and repair the old Sears one at my pleasure and keep it as a backup.
I haven't thought about the string thing! The old sears one I had used the plastic strips, I had to put a new one on every time I cut the yard.
So your string comment is going to be pondered upon by me!
Tom