Weeds galore this year - what to do

Hello group, I am 1 hour north of New York City. This year, my lawn has become overrun with crabgrass and other nasty weeds. There are areas that are mostly weed, and areas that are mostly grass(bluegrass/rye). This has not occurred in the 7 years I have been here. Anyway, I would like to take some action now if possible. I have a 100x100ft lot with my home on it.
1) Is there any fertilizer combo weed killer that I can put down on the entire lawn now? 2) Can I also seed most of the lawn in combination with 1) now?
I guess what I am asking is that is there an alternative to killing all the weeds with straight weed killer, waiting for them to die off, then seeding and fertilizing? Most of the lawn care plans I see state to ferilize/seed now, and apply weedkiller/fertilizer in the spring. But I do not want to fertilize the weeds now!
Who mows your lawn, and at what height?

I do. Height? Self-propelled mower half way up. ~3 inches?
Doug Kanter wrote:

OK. I asked because that's an important factor in minimizing weed growth: Higher grass. During hot, dry weather, many grass varieties grow more slowly, and the weeds are more easily able to dominate. I can't help you with your questions about weed killers, because I won't use them. But, however you achieve your goal, you may want to mow higher and less often during hot weather. You may wonder if the neighbors think the lawn looks ratty, but they really don't care, unless it gets totally out of hand. Having said that, you may correct me if Westchester has Neat Lawn Death Squads wandering the streets. :-)

This year, my lawn has become overrun with crabgrass and other nasty weeds. There are areas that are mostly weed, and areas that are mostly grass(bluegrass/rye). This has not occurred in the 7 years I have been here. Anyway, I would like to take some action now if possible. I have a 100x100ft lot with my home on it.
The beginning of the ideal time to seed is still 2+ weeks away. I'd treat the weed problems now and then over-seed if necessary in 3-4 weeks. If the lawn has been doing well until now, you may not even need to do the seeding. I'd use a tank sprayer and treat the broadlead weeds with a product like Weed B Gone and I'd use Acclaim on the crabgrass. Don't apply the broadlead weedkiller on the crabgrass with the Acclaim, it will reduce the effectiveness. Also, these work best if the weeds and grass are actively growing, ie, you don't want it extremely dry. If you do this now, you can do any overseeding in 3-4 weeks. If you want the option of overseeding, then I'd apply a starter fertilizer in early Sept. That will get the existing grass going too.
As Doug suggested, cutting the grass high in the future is a good practice. But when you're over-seeding, you want to cut it relatively short before seeding.

Right. And, if you manually rip out weeds in certain spots, leaving them bare, get yourself some burlap and a way of holding it in place (bricks, baseball-size rocks). Burlap shades the area so it stays damp longer, like when you're away at work and can't cater to the seed for 8-10 hours at a time. And, it protects the seeds from birds. The new grass will grow through the holes, and you can lift the burlap off easily at that point. It also breaks up the sprinkler spray or rain so seed won't get splattered out of place.
It's nuts to consider burlap for a whole lawn, obviously, but it's a great tool for selected spots.

Can you purchase Acclaim via a retail store? If so, where?
- John
Just pull them out of the ground and throw them in the trash that is hauled away.
Can you purchase Acclaim via a retail store? If so, where?
Try Lesco, they should have a location near you or via online.
Northern Putnam County does not have Neat Lawn Death Squads. What we have here are Neat Lawn Obsessive Compulsive wives.I dont worry about the neighbors, the grass is no greener on the other side. I didn't mow for 3 weeks straight this Aug due to lack o rain.
Doug Kanter wrote:

The wives are probably worse than the death squads.