weeds and pavers?

We have Unilock pavers around our in ground swimming pool. Im sure there are others who have pavers. How do you keep the weeds from sprouting between the pavers? Tried an area with the weed mat or newspaper, after a season (upstate NY) it looks the same as the other areas. I use stone dust in the joints. I heard of the chemical (weed stop) sand mix. Havent located any around here. I hear its very expense, and wears away. I hate to use a chemical (ie: roundup) because of it getting into the pool water. Tried the weed torch to burn them, PITA. Does anyone have a good solution to weeds and pavers?
Thanks

A chemical but it will kill everything and anything. Be careful of wanted roots that may be near or under the weeds.
Ortho GroundClear Complete Vegetation Killer Concentrate
* Kills weeds and prevents new growth for up to 1 year * Eliminates unwanted vegetation from driveways, walkways, patios, fence rows and other areas
http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event/ProductGuide.product/documentId/f985420bc0ed1ea7a78627e685fc3a8b

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event/ProductGuide.product/documentId/f985420bc0ed1ea7a78627e685fc3a8b Sounds just like roundup. I hear silca sand in the cracks works well.
Mike wrote:

Actually, it's very different than Roundup. While Roundup also kills just about everything, you can safely replant a week later. The above type product not only kills, but keeps anything from germinating for 6 months to a year. It's designed for driveways, walkways, etc.

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event/ProductGuide.product/documentId/f985420bc0ed1ea7a78627e685fc3a8b
We had a contractor that was going to put a polymer type grount to fill in the cracks....never got it done but sounded like a good solution that would last.
Thanks FDR. polymer grout...? Interesting! Seems, like it could be a pain to install. If it installs like ceramic tile, you cant rub off the haze on pavers I wonder if polymer would prevent the natural drainage that is needed around a pool. FDR, What did you use for grout? Have any problems?
FDR wrote:

Triox works better. Sterilizes the soil. Nothing can germinate...even if you plant something in it.
Ortho makes both products. I guess one saves a nickel but may work just as well. I go for the sure kill myself. No stragglers.

What does this stuff smell like? I tried some with the Ortho weed stopper and it smelled horrible; the Roundup was fine.

I have a cheap computer. I can't post smells.
I mean really now. It's outside. You want to kill the weeds or what? Whatever it smells like, it's gonna dissipate in a day or two.

No, but you can post opinions or descriptions.

The smell from the Ortho stuff lasted for well over a month. Luckily it was done early enough in the season or it would have been bad trying to be by the pool.

Almost as bad as all the chlorine in the pool I bet...

Actually, we use a mineral cartridge at the pool pump for desanitizing. It only requires a 1ppm chlorine residual in the pool so it never smells of chlorine.
Why are you intentionally being an ass in your responses?

Just keeping in practice:-) Lighten up.
Of course Ortho stuff stinks. To some it doesn't matter. To some the slightest bit is gagging. Heck, in some places the water stinks too.

Did you buy premixed ortho or concentrate? I am thinking you were applying too high of a concentration.
TP wrote:

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I never saw my earlier reply show up.
Start by washing out as much of the stone dust as you can. Stone dust is no good for interlocking paver joints. (I hope for your patio's sake your setting bed is not stone dust as well.)
Let the area dry out thoroughly.
Invest in some polymeric joint sand (NOT grout), it should be available from most resellers of concrete pavers. Follow installation instructions carefully & completely.
The brand we sell here in Maryland can be seen here:
http://www.techniseal.com/products.php?Id &region_Id=1&langue_Id=1
This product should eliminate virtually all your weed problems, and also stop ants from tunneling through the joints & making piles of powder on the surface.
David
I set 500 sf of pavers 2 years ago. DW would only agree to pavers if I promised that no weeds would grow in between them. I used a product called Surebond. So far not a single weed has appeared. It's not cheap but it works! I am not affiliated with the company - just a very satisfied customer.

A friend of mine installed pavers using sand in the joints for a year or two until he was sure there would be no settling, then he (a) pressure washed them to wash out some of the sand, (b) sprinkled grout over the pavers and used a broom to sweep it off the pavers and into the joints, and (c) gave it a light sprinkling of water. It looks great, nothing grows in the cracks, and it's really solid -- Regards --