Weed killer for lawns???

What is a good weed killer for lawn applications? I've been using a broad leaf killer to get rid of my dandylions, but that obviously doesn't do anything for the other stuff. In particular, I have patches of clover in some areas of the lawn. I'd like to just spot treat them. I got my dandylions under control, now if I see a few here and there, I just spray a small amount of Tri-mec broad leaf spray on them and they are gone in a couple of days. The lawn looks great except for the few patches of clover. Any suggestions? Cleveland, Oh.

Reply to
richblacksmith

Hi Rich.

You sorta answered your own question with the three way or trimec not working for your clover...that, along with the other HTC's have a waxy cuticle.

You need to add some spreader-sticker to your mix in order to get your control product to cling to the waxy foliage. That's why weed and feed powders are less than effective on those crawlers.

Email me for the recipe if you need it.

Reply to
Steveo

Reply to
Nicole

great info even for non CA residents... tons of great info

Here's the site for Ohio (cooperative extensions are a plethora of free info)

names for triclopyr- Garlon, Weed B Gone and Turflon
can I control clover in my lawn?

Clover is a bit like wild violets in the lawn - you have to decide whether you consider it a weed or a flower to be enjoyed. Personally, I leave some clover in the lawn for the rabbits and hope that they'll feed on it and perhaps leave my perennials and annuals alone! Clover is a legume, and so it also fixes nitrogen in the soil, as well.

However, if you decide to control clover, you are looking at a couple of opportunities - one in the mid-May to mid-June period when most weeds are actively growing, temperatures are moderate, and moisture adequate in the root zone. The other time is late summer, about mid-September to mid-October before it gets too cool.

Clover and wild violets are lawn weeds that are considered "difficult to control," and the usual home use broadleaf weed herbicides don't do much against them. In June 1995, wild violet control was evaluated at the Ohio State University. Herbicides evaluated in this study included 2,4-D, MCPP, dicamba, and triclopyr. Data collected seven weeks after treatment showed that 2,4-D, MCPP and dicamba only provided 18.3% - 30.0% control following a single application, whereas the best control was achieved using triclopyr, resulting in 81.7% control. For wild violet, white clover and other difficult weeds such as and ground ivy, try a product that contains triclopyr. Triclopyr is available on the homeowner market, and often lists the weeds controlled on the front label, so it's easy to find. Check the active ingredient statement on the back to make sure it is triclopyr.

Reply to
Nicole

The plant will do the same with it in the spring. No reason to live with the weeds until fall.

Reply to
Steveo

Try 2-4-D and put it on in the fall at frost time if you live in a frost area. The plant will pull it down into he root system and do the job for you.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

I used to be a regular clover sprayer along with other broad leaf in my lawn. I have the broad leaf well in check now and can hand till it. A year or so ago the clover continued to grow no matter how I sprayed it. Finally I decided/realised that it has its uses and I will never stop it so I have gotten used to it. I have clover in my lawn and I am not ashamed.

rob

Reply to
George.com

> How can I control clover in my lawn?

I enjoyed wild violets until they spread like a cancer across my lawn, overwhelming the grass. The violets forced me to choose between violets or grass, so.....

I, too, found out that standard broadleaf just bounced off it until I started using one that contained triclopyr, from Home Depot. It's the one that DOESN'T have a picture of a dandelion on it. That should make it easier to find.

Reply to
Darryl