Weed Killer and Ant Killer that is dog friendly

Hi everyone,
Our back yard is about 3/4 acre, and we have a 7 year old basset hound who stays in the yard. I need to put something out to kill the crazy outbreak of ants that've started moving in, but I'm not sure what to use that won't hurt the dog. I use Amdro on the front lawn and it works well, but the package says not to use around pets.
Also, any ideas on a weed killer? Thanks --
Sam
--
Sam Alexander - sam.alexander(at)sidebandbbs(dot)co
icq: 5386757 [] AIM/Y!: samalex1701 [] Skype: samalex0
Sam Alexander wrote:

An Anteater?
Sam Alexander wrote:

Patience and a water hose. With [new] fire-ant mounds, just flood it until you get the egg rooms. They usually move on to the neighbor's yard, where he can put down all the poison he wants (I have high sensitivity).
Should work for other the other ants (except concrete/nuisance ants - they do not seem to leave).
I've moved from fire-ant country, but I was going to make a little tripod for the hose to place right on the mound, so I did not have to crouch down (and dance around the defensive surge).
I also thought about experimenting with a probe that sticks in the ground to better the chance I disturb the egg rooms with an [unattended] hose.
--
v/r,
C-F
Sam Alexander wrote:

The insect killers I looked at recently are listed as safe around mammals, just very deadly to fish & water creatures. I just applied a product called Triazide or something where only 0.5% of the product was active, and it only used 0.5 floz per gallon.
Research the active ingredients rather than the brand name.
For a weed killer, I've learned to section the yard with flexible vinyl fencing & temporary posts on a sunny day, & spray only the isolated section. When it's dry in a few hours, move the fencing, move the dogs. Alternately, I spray on a Saturday morning, then take the dogs off for a day elsewhere & return in the evening.