Weed control

I've been told that the two weeds that seem to be invading my lawn are Orchard Grass and Dallisgrass. Apparently, these two aren't easy to control and there isn't a selective herbicide that will kill them without affecting the surrounding lawn (in my case, fescue). I'm near Raleigh, NC.

Any ideas on how to deal with this problem? I do plan to overseed in late September or early October...

Thanks,

-jav

Reply to
Javier

Dallisgrass, I dunno. Orchard Grass in Fescue is a bummer. About all you can probably do is use a broad spectrum herbicide (such as glyphosate), spot spray, and be careful. A dye would help tremendously. Don't hurry and it can be done easily.

When you overseed, make sure you buy good quality seed. Orchard Grass is quite often included in a mix because of its usefulness in pastures. Look for lawn seed that says it has NO "other crop seed", listed. Even one-half of 1 percent orchard grass in a tall fescue mix can result in a dozen or more orchard grass seeds per square foot.

HTH

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

"Crabgrass, Nutgrass & Dallis Grass Killer" made by Ferti-lome, works like a charm, altho I don't know about 'orchard grass'. My bottle is several years old, don't know if they're still in business.

Active ingredient is: monosodium acid metharsenate

I mix a small amount in a trigger spray bottle and spot-spray, rather than treating entire lawn. Reduces risk of burning fescues.

Ortho has a weed killer that contains a grassy weed killer, I believe. Look up grassy weeds on their site (ortho.com)

Reply to
LJ