weed and feed

Page 1 of 3
Is there a specific time of day/ wetness of grass to apply weed and feed or can it be done anytime ..And what sems to be a good brand wich kills most broad leaf weeds .thanks..Steve

Hi Steve, (cool name)
You need to put weed -n- feed powder down early in the morning when there's a good dew on. I mean wipe it with your hand first and make sure it's wet.
Also be sure there is -no- rain in the forecast for at least 24 hours after your treatment.
Brands are a relative question and Scotts plus two is a good homeowner product. It ain't the cheapest one tho..
DRVNGUY wrote:

I use a cannister garden sprayer for applying liquid broadleaf weed killer. Just avoid doing it before a rain. It's quite a bit less expensive than powders, little is wasted and there isn't a runoff problem.
"I use a cannister garden sprayer for applying liquid broadleaf weed killer. Just avoid doing it before a rain. It's quite a bit less expensive than powders, little is wasted and there isn't a runoff problem. "
I agree. It's less stressfull to the grass, far less harmful to the environment and more effective on the weeds. IMO, the only time weed n feed is a good option is when the lawn is really full of broadleaf weeds due to previous lack of control.

He didn't ask for the tree hugger suggestion. Of course it's hard to tell from this post after you'z snipped the OP.
He asked for advice on which weather was best for using weed -n- feed, you know that stuff they drop off by the tractor trailer load at home depot?
If someone asks for the most environmentally friendly approach, your advice would apply better than mine.
"He didn't ask for the tree hugger suggestion. Of course it's hard to tell from this post after you'z snipped the OP.
He asked for advice on which weather was best for using weed -n- feed, you know that stuff they drop off by the tractor trailer load at home depot?
If someone asks for the most environmentally friendly approach, your advice would apply better than mine. "
I don't think it's a question of whose advice applies best. There are a lot of people that think weed n feed products are the best and/or only solution to weed control. And they routinely apply it to lawns with only a few weeds. I was only trying to offer not only a more effective, but also a more environmentally friendly alternative. I think we all have an obligation to use as little herbicides as possible, not toss it around needlessly. If that makes me a "tree hugger", so be it.
Steveo wrote:

If someone asks what the least painful way to commit suicide is, it's irresponsible to simply tell them which method you think is best without at least a cursory check to see why they think suicide is the right solution. Suggesting that there are less drastic options that may be more suitable may be all it takes to save the life of someone who didn't realize they had no options.
Or if you want a less dramatic analogy, if someone asks what's the best way to scale a building to was the outside of a window that can't be reached by a ladder, it only makes sense to make sure that the person understands that some windows can flip around so you can clean the outside from the inside before they start repelling down the side of the building.
Or if a couple with no kids asks the real estate agent to find them a 3 "bedroom" house, it would be dumb not to ask if a 2 "bedroom" house with a "den" might meet their needs as well -- or perhaps better. Suggesting a 2 bedroom house with a den as an alternative to a 3 bedroom house is not inappropriate.
Many people think that weed and feed is their only option in lawn care. It's usually the only lawn care solution advertised on TV. There are pallets of the stuff down at Home Depot. Some grocery stores even carry it at this time of the year. Given that it's seldom the best solution, and the overall risks of making it a regular part of their lawn care, it is irresponsible not to at least mention that weed and feed is not the only way.
The question someone asks may not be the question they really need answered. They may not know that they've gotten a step ahead of themselves. Or they're asking the more advanced question because they feel foolish asking the more elementary question. Or they think the more elementary question is too general to get a specific answer.
If you're going to simply answer the literal question someone asks without any regard for the context of the question, you're not doing anyone any favors. And calling someone who questions the context of the original question a derogatory name is even less helpful.
--
Warren H.

==========
HUH?
Warren wrote:

STFU and learn something for a change, Warren. Sheesh you're a crybaby.
"STFU and learn something for a change, Warren. Sheesh you're a crybaby."
What exactly is your problem? You object to the fact that others here like Warren and I wanted to add some additional advice, that weed n feed isn't necessarily the best solution for weed control? Do you think it's a good idea to just apply it regularly to an entire 10,000 sq ft lawn that has 20 weeds that could be spot treated? Or do you think the OP, who obviously couldn't read the label directions as to how to apply weed n feed already knows all the appropriate method of weed control and what's appropriate? And even if he does, others read the thread too, don't they?
Maybe you should explain what so troubles you, rather than resort to name calling and vulgarity.

Borrow a tissue from warren, crybaby.
It's back to my kill file for you, Steveo. You are still the ignorant and arrogant twit you were a few months ago. Some day you may grow up and learn that other people have opinions that are just as valid as yours. As I said before, your attitude speaks volumes about the kind of person you are!
Waldo
Steveo wrote:

<plonk>

ppp (public plonking is for pussys) ppp.

it

Another moderator wanna-be chimes in with nothing about lawncare.
Start a moderated group and share your wisdom there, Jo. I certainly won't bother you there.

adolescent
I have no desire to moderate. I was commenting on how lovely it would be to be able to read your wisdom without the, well, you know, manure thrown in. There. I commented about lawn care, may I stay now, Steveo?
jo

I don't have any control over you staying or leaving. See how that works? :)

Another newbie has nothing to contribute. Get back on the short bus and lick the windows, mow town.

asks
doing
crybaby.
Ooh, immaturity amongst grown men is just *sooo* attractive! Some people just come here to get advice and learn something. You all seem to know a great deal, but sheesh, boys, you do enjoy your whizzing contests!
Amused, Jo