water with soft water?

in our neighbourhood, we need the use of a water softener, should I be using this to water the grass, or flip it to bypass, and use untreated water?

Unless you have objectionable odors or taste in your water I would have it connected that way. And perhaps it is. Furthermore, despite what the softener sellers claim, backwash salt remains in the system so you are watering with very slightly salted water. Or drinking it. I would use untreated water for watering.
Watering a typical lawn takes a hell of a lot of water, as compared to any other household use. I sure wouldn't be spending bucks to soften it for no reason.
Punch wrote:

I just purchased a house in July with a water softener.
The 3 outside hose faucets feed off the water line BEFORE the softener, so the outside water is always untreated. I imagine if the softener was planned when the home was constructed, that's how they do it. You may want to see if this is the case in your home as well.
They say that using potassium chloride pellets instead of sodium chloride is slightly more expensive, but better for plants.