water well test

I'm starting work on a community garden for our church.
The first thing is I need to check out an old but maybe useable well. We have good, 2" outflo at the 2hp pump pipe.
Is that all I can do to test it?
The reason I'm asking is we're going to need to run the water about 400' across yards and driveways. If it's worth doing that, then we can proceed.
If not, we won't be able to handle the project for lack of water.
We could drive a well close to the project, but then we'd have to run 300 yards of electrical to the site, which might also be a "deal breaker".
rb wrote:

If no other wells in the area have gone dry & there are no restrictions in your area on pumping water from wells, I see nothing to worry about!!
Tom J
rb said:

You could also put a couple of pumps inline, along the route, no?
I think the 2hp pump is gonna struggle, by itself, over that distance.
--

Eggs

APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.

no trouble.
Chas Hurst said:

That's true. However, I haven't seen too many 400' stretches of ground, that ran across driveways, yards, et al, that was perfectly horizontal. =)
Oh, I think the water will get there, eventually. I just don't think it'll have the pressure necessary to do the job, without some assistance.
Alternatively, perhaps some sort of holding tank(s) (from which the actual watering gets done) at the end of the run, which gets replenished from the hose feed? It /may/ be able to keep up, then.
--

Eggs

-If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

"perfect" rarely happens in this world. Even lifting the water another 5 or 10 feet won't matter, as there is good pressure now.
I water a garden using a series of 1/2 inch garden hoses about 200 foot in length from a 2 hp pump. I was surprised at the amount of pressure that I had at the end. I was expected much more drop off based on experience I had with a pond pump. I'm also saving 100s of dollars during the summer because I'm not paying the water company.
Good luck.

Fear not. I run a pump from a brook at least 600' uphill with a 1 1/4" line. I'm using an old Sears centrifical pump now (not sure but maybe 1/2 HP) and I used to used a regular old Myers piston pump. I fill an old 275 gal fuel tank up top and then let it siphon back down to the garden area which is about half way up the hill. I'm guessing my elevation is about 40'.