Water logged muddy lawn

My lawn, if you could call it that, is really muddy and walking on i
just mashes the grass into the dirt. I have been told that adding som sand to my soil may help to firm it all up. Any comments on this wil be appreciated as will any suggestions to the types of sand I shoul look at
-- wannabgardener
Sounds like a drainage problem, not stability.
If you have good drainage, its probably a surface clay soil that's easily water saturated. Or a really high water table. Or both.
Can't provide a suggestion unless I know what's broke.
--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg