Walnut tree for sale

About 25' high. Buyer has to dig it out and move it. What do you think I ought to get for it ? (upstate NY) My neighbor thinks at least $100.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Dig it out? It's only use would be lumber and at only 25' high there won't be much usable wood. Good for firewood.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

You have to be nuts to burn a Walnut tree. Full grown Walnut trees are going for over $1500 here for lumber. Dig it out - you might be picturing digging by hand. That's not the way trees are moved. There is a hydraulic clamshell type device that mounts on the back of a tractor for digging trees out.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I'm quite aware of the machinery to move live trees. You are unaware of the value of a small walnut tree. Walnuts are ubiquitous and of value only when VERY mature. I've burnt walnut larger than your tree.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

No shit Sherlock - that's why I posted the question. But I was offered $100 for it 5 years ago. So I guess you don't care what you burn.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

So now you mention you were offered $100 for it 5 years ago. Too bad you didn't take it. Now you ask for advice and when you don't like what you read you get testy. I care very much what I burn in my woodstove, and walnut, while acceptable, is at the bottom of the list. It is a good way to get rid of worthless wood in an area were open burning it not generally permitted. Do you realize that a walnut has value solely as lumber? It is an undesirable tree for residential use. A 25' tree will require generations to mature into one of commercial value, so it is unlikely that a purchaser of your tree will see any financial gain.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I have many black walnut trees on my lot. When one of the really big (30 inch diameter) ones blew over a couple of years ago I could not find anyone willing to pay me for it, and I called around everywhere around here in NJ. They would come and get it if I paid _them_ however. They all said there was no demand for it. I ended cutting it up for firewood and it seems to burn just fine in my fireplace - no problem at all there. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

That's the way it goes. If you had a truck load of logs-not trees, but cut and trimmed logs-there would have been great interest.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

That was when it was about 10' high.

I asked for "what I should get for it" - you didn't say other than to tell me "I was unaware of the value".

Google walnut and you'll find a few other uses.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Actually I had the entire tree horizontal, uncut at all at the time. No interest.

Reply to
Tomes

No problem Sarge. I just am hoping that there is more interest wherever it is that you are. Good luck with this. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Maybe leave it grow for a while and then sell it as real walnut to someone that will appreciate it as furniture. (hope you're not in a hurry)

Why do you want to get rid of it, messy?

Reply to
Steveo

In the way of me building a 3 car garage.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

10-4 those are better than a walnut tree for most applications.
Reply to
Steveo

Maybe I should slice it up and make a couple shelves out of it ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Why not if you have enough? Get-r-dun and build the garage.

Reply to
Steveo

I don't know if it is big enough (curcumference), but walnut makes beautiful (though heavy) electric guitars.

Reply to
jtees4