Viburnum Arrowwood

I am looking to plant a couple dozen Viburnum Arrowwood ( Viburnum Dentatum ) but I am getting mixed data. Some sites say it thrives in almost any soil conditions and in full sun to full shade while other sites state only partial to full sun.

Any Help? Can I put these along my front burm to shield from the road traffic noise? It has a few shade trees mixed in so it will be something less than full shade but it won't be sunny!

Ron H. West Central Wisconsin

Reply to
Ron H

Hi Ron, This particular Viburnum can be planted in most soils - preferring a light alkaline content, but not necessary. It will actually grow in moderate shade, but is best in either dappled shade or full light. I would not plant it just for a 'noise filter' for it would need to be in a shelter belt some several metres wide to have any real effect at filtering traffic noise. And in any event - not being an evergreen - you would lose even the miniscule effect of noise reduction in the winter months!!! The big PLUS though, is that it has great autumn/fall colours ranging from yellows to reds depending upon soil types. Hope this helps Regards Data

Data