Very old gas

Previous thread just made me think of an experience some 30+ years ago. Bought an old Hillman station wagon that had been sitting in a guys garage for a few years. Towed it home but couldn't wait to fire it up so I just stuck in a good battery and let er crank. She finally fired but talk about "rough" LOL. When I got around to checking the gas it was more like syrup than fuel. Smelled real funny. A miracle it fired at all.

Very aged gasoline has the pungent odor similar to acetone. The consistency is visible by 2 different consistencies. One being a gel, and the other almost like water. Neither of which burn in a 4 cycle engine very well.
--
Jonny