urgent ...pls help

urgent ...pls help *********************
My sister had a tree in her front yard in the center of the lawn...the tree sprouted roots and tiny trees appeared all over the lawn. She has had the tree cut but these little trees keep coming up all the time all over the lawn...she mows the lawn and they get cut ...but reappear.
How can she kill these ...that are sprouting up everywhere ?
My sister does not know what sort of tree this is...the home builders planted it...the house is about 18 years now.
Has anyone had any experience with this sort of situation ?
Pls help
Thanks Kim

Locust trees are well known for that. Just keep mowing - they won't get a chance to grow and will eventually give up.
My Poplar trees were doing this till I recently dug up the roots under the lawns soil surface, but will expect them to show up again in a few years as the trees roots will grow where there is water. Poplar trees are also known for this .
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A few drops of stump/root killer into each of the cut-off sprouts and a liberal dousing of the main stump will take care of it.

Kyle Boatright wrote:

She doesn't have a stump yet, but getting one and then following your advice is the only permanent solution. I was having a real flame war in another group with a chowder head that claimed all trees have similar roots and surface roots are not a problem with some species.

they sound like popples (poplar), which tend to do that. Just keep mowing'em over.