Unwanted Thorn Vines

Product Used: Roundup=AE Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer Plus Concentrate

I have a hill side approximately 20' x 50' filled with thorn vines approximately 6 to 10 feet tall. I sprayed each vine from top to bottom with Roundup=AE Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer Plus Concentrate yesterday and again this morning. This morning I noticed the vines are turning dark brown. (I hope that's a promising sign that they are dying.)

Questions:

-How long will it take for the vines to die completely? I would like to clear the hill side as soon as possible (definitely before it gets to hot).

-Will the thorn vines return this year or next year?

-Can I plant a ground cover in the same area. I am considering low growing drought tolerant --possibly phlox. I am eager to through seeds in the area next month.

ps. This is a long weekend for yard and garden projects, i.e., spraying the vines again or removing the vines from the hill side.

Reply to
DaLadyN_Red

You just sprayed them this morning and they're not dying fast enough for you yet?

Reply to
Steveo

I have a hill side approximately 20' x 50' filled with thorn vines approximately 6 to 10 feet tall. I sprayed each vine from top to bottom with Roundup® Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer Plus Concentrate yesterday and again this morning. This morning I noticed the vines are turning dark brown. (I hope that's a promising sign that they are dying.)

Questions:

-How long will it take for the vines to die completely? I would like to clear the hill side as soon as possible (definitely before it gets to hot).

-Will the thorn vines return this year or next year?

-Can I plant a ground cover in the same area. I am considering low growing drought tolerant --possibly phlox. I am eager to through seeds in the area next month.

ps. This is a long weekend for yard and garden projects, i.e., spraying the vines again or removing the vines from the hill side.

Some thorn vines can be *extremely tough.* However, I have used Roundup (very carefully and selectively) for many years, usually with good results. The head of the grounds crew at the local university told me several years ago that it is actually better to use Roundup at a slightly *lower* rate than what is listed on the bottle (whereas most people want to increase the proportion). He also said that the plants sprayed will be "dead" after 9-12 hours, even though they will not look like it. Roundup is a systemic, and it will have entered the root system by that time.

I am actually a little concerned that your plants look brown after such a short time. It sounds like your application may have been too heavy.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

First, Roundup needs for the plants to be actively growing for it to effectively kill them. If the vines are still dormant, it may take another application. If you try to kill weeds in early Spring or late fall it's far less effective than if you use it when the weather is warm and the weeds active.

You can reseed a week after using regular Roundup. Not sure what is added to the Plus concentrate, so I'd check the label or website.

If applied right, you should be rid of the vines without them reappearing, but it's always possible a small amount could require retreatment.

Reply to
trader4