type of oil for 2 stroke

Have had lawn mower for a year now and going to change oil, its a briggs & stratton machine, 2 stroke. What type of oil do I use as I have plenty of

20/50 that I use for motorbikes, should I use a special one for the mower?

thanks

Reply to
Scudo

Do you mean "change the oil" or mean "select another brand of oil to use"?

You usually do NOT "change the oil" in 2 cycle motors. You either mix the oil with the gas or add 2-cycle oil to a reservoir. There is no crankcase (containing oil) for you to change.

Uhm yeah, maybe some 2-CYCLE OIL should be used? You think?

Don't mention it

Reply to
Edgar

Another good question is why anyone still makes two cycle lawn mowers. Or why anyone would buy one. Pollution from home equipment like this is under scrutiny and two cycle engines are much dirtier than 4 cycle. Plus you have the pain of constantly mixing gas. And for what? To save a little weight?

Reply to
trader4

I didn't know Briggs made a 2 stroke. I have been working on small engines for years and never seen one.

Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down town Yountsville. Managers of the water works.

Reply to
Mel-Donnie Kelly

I am based in the UK and yes I agree about the pollution but was all I could afford at the time and to be honest I couldn`t have told you when I bought it that it was 2 or 4 stroke, I have (last year) got rid of my 2 stroke hedge trimmer as that was going to choke me to death, I replaced with electric. Possibly they don`t make it but sub contract and stick their name on it...I dunno

The lawnmower is just a small hand push thing not one of those super duper sit on ones.

Reply to
Scudo

Do you understand the two cycle oiling concept? Crankcase oil changes are for four cycle lawnmower engines. The two cycle engine gets its lubrication from the oil you add to the fuel.

Reply to
Steveo

Thanks steveo, just though it may have turned slightly acidic with heat from the engine and age.

I do realise what you are say> > I am based in the UK and yes I agree about the pollution but was all I

lubrication

Reply to
Scudo

"Thanks steveo, just though it may have turned slightly acidic with heat from the engine and age.

I do realise what you are saying though. "

Apparently not, because this makes no sense either.

Reply to
trader4

In 4 stroke engines the heat generated causes a breakdown of the chemical composition and makes the oil more chemically acidic when compared to fresh oil, this oil if left for a period of time can have a corrosive effect on the metal parts of an engine. This is the main reason why any vehicle that has seasonal usage only should have an oil change before it is stored and not left in the vehicle over a long period with the old oil and then changed at the start of the season.

With that in mind and the fact I only use the (2 stroke) lawn mower for 4 months of the year, I was reckoning that to a lesser degree the above may apply.

I have no wish to continue with this thread so any replies will be unanswered.

regards Scudo

Reply to
Scudo

" have no wish to continue with this thread so any replies will be unanswered. regards Scudo "

What a pity. We were all waiting to here how you were going to change the oil in a two stroke engine that doesn't have any oil to change.

Reply to
trader4

If you are looking at oil that "may have turned slightly acidic" it's NOT a two stroke.

Are you sure you're not looking inside your barbeque grill?

^^

Reply to
Edgar

"Scudo" was pretty close when he stated;

Not entirely true- it's the impurities and contaminates (due to incomplete combustion) that cause the acidic buildup. Heat causes the lubrication properties of the oil to breakdown which gradually increases wear in the motor (but does NOT add impurities).

Agreed.

Agreed.

How can it apply to oil that has NOT been exposed to combustion? If the two-stroke oil had been exposed to combustion, it would have come out the exhaust and you'd not have a problem!

There are other problems that should be addressed before that- such as the tendency of gasoline to become 'gummy' after sitting for a period of time, proper corrosion prevention, etc.

So.

Like you were providing good answers previously?

^^

Reply to
Edgar

Reply to
Frank Knight

Thanks for the information Frank appreciated

Reply to
Scudo

"Thanks for the information Frank appreciated "

It just gets better with every post. I thought you left us with your last post? But, your back! And now Mr I need to change the oil in my

2 cycle mower and I'm sure that's what I have, is thanking Frank for telling him he has a 4 cycle engine? What's up with that? And who would be stupid enough to be asking what kind of oil to use in a mower they own? Unless it fell off the turnip truck, it surely came with a manual. And even if did fall off a truck, you can find a manual online. In other words, RTFM!
Reply to
trader4