turf turning to straw

hi guys just joined need your help !!
recently i had my back garden turfed at a cost of 400 this was just for turf and labour
i waited 3 weeks before i used it and in that time i kept it waterd as much as i could it looked really well and green for weeks atfer its first cut and it grew back well and thick
after it had been down a few months i started to notice small dead patches but continued to keep watering and cutting it
now about 4 months on the growth is really bad and just grows around the edges and cutting it fairly fulls up the grass collection box on the lawnmower
when looking at the grass it now has patches of a straw like colour all over apart from the edges and the thickness of the grass is now terrible and can see the joins again
in the hot weather it was drying out alot and i tried forking it to let the water get to the roots because the water was sitting on top of the soil and new growth is now very minimal
please help im a 29 year old guy whos just bought his first house and saved hard to turf the back garden i used to love going out and looking at the turf now i cant look at it
ive bought some grass seed to put down but i really dont know what to do
--
scott0904

This could be an important clue. Not clear how much water he's been putting down or what rate, but unless it's at a huge rate water should not be pooling on the top of new sod. And the problem isn't the sod, it's going to be whatever is underneath. Sounds like they put the sod down on some impermeable earth. If so, the water has no place to go and the roots can't establish.

+1
hi guys when i water the turf i use the hose and dont use any attachment so the water flow is at full flow so to speak and i leave the hose on the turf and let it soak it through and then move to another area till its coverd
my back garden used to have a driveway and the rest was soil and grass i had all removed and just layed the turf straight on top and banged it down under the slabs was sandy compacted soil which i thought the turf would take to
--
scott0904

And the posts of the totally clueless continues....
' snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net[_2_ Wrote: > And the posts of the totally clueless continues....
i dont know what your trying to get at or achieve with your post but if thats your way of helping someone then one thing i can say is the lack of common courtesy is unbelievable
--
scott0904

I did help the OP with my first post. What I'm getting at with the last post is this:
"> my back garden used to have a driveway and the rest was soil and grass i

Anyone who thinks banging down new turf on a compacted driveway is a good idea is clueless. And I'd say that is helpful to the OP too , because he should know it's just plain stupid.
Capiche?
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net said:

<bites lip>
<sits on hands>
=P
--

Eggs

-Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will