Trying to figure out what this plant is...

When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming... thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them. Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could be...

Anyone know a pictoral website for shrubs and bushes in the NY area where I could possibly find this beast's name?

Reply to
Patrick

J. Davidson

I've spoken to the local nurseries - and even the previous landscaper, who (reportedly) planted the thing - no one has any idea, even with seeing fresh cuttings...

Hmm, good idea... i'll try that tonight, thanks.

Reply to
Patrick

How about posting a picture at a site like

so we can see it?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
J. Davidson

Maybe poke around here and see what you can find:

JoeSpareBedroom

someone else suggested, post a pic on the web and link to it here. It's impossible to identify, by the (lack of) information you've given.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Post a picture. Tell us where this plant is growing (it makes a huge difference whether it is Honolulu or Fairbanks, Miami or Minneapolis).

Reply to
John McGaw

No. Put the pic on the web, and link to it here. This isn't a binary group, thanks.

Did you read the /entire/ OP?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

How about here:

Patrick

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Hello Patrick The plant you have is a Weigela - probably Weigela 'Gustav Mallet', on account of a/ the flower colour (color) and b/ the rather pointed leaves - as distinct from the sometimes broader oval leaves of some varieties. It looks a little 'neglected' (The last owner's fault I am sure :-). It needs to be a slightly more moist soil - judging from the brown edges to the leaves. Give it around 4in of mulch around base. As soon as it finishes flowering, cut out the old flowered shoots near to the ground. This will encourage new vigorous basal growth, which should start to give it a little bit more height. Cut out the old flowering shoots after flowering each year, and then cut down around one third of the main stems to ground level each year. This will keep the new growth that is needed for this to be a satisfactory shrub. Hope this helps Data

Reply to
Data

Thanks!

Reply to