Trying to figure out what this plant is...

When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming... thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them. Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could be...
Anyone know a pictoral website for shrubs and bushes in the NY area where I could possibly find this beast's name?
Take a sprig to your local nursery and ask them. And I suggest that you make cuttings like mad and grow several of them. I myself would like a cutting! :-) If you do cuttings, place them in water with a bit of a willow branch while you are gathering your supplies. A willow branch and some rootone will practically guarantee a take. Good luck, Jackie

J. Davidson wrote:

I've spoken to the local nurseries - and even the previous landscaper, who (reportedly) planted the thing - no one has any idea, even with seeing fresh cuttings...

Hmm, good idea... i'll try that tonight, thanks.

How about posting a picture at a site like www.photobucket.com, so we can see it?
If it is that prolific a grower I am thinking Camellia either Sasanqua or the other one, or hardy hibiscus. Jackie

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

How about here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ubergeek28 /
[flup set to a.h.l.g.]
Patrick said:

It's a Weigela. Which cultivar, I'm not sure.
--

Eggs

Crime doesn't pay... does that mean my job is a crime?
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Thanks!

Maybe poke around here and see what you can find: http://www.bbg.org/
[flup set to a.h.l.g.]
Patrick said:

http://davesgarden.com/pf /
As someone else suggested, post a pic on the web and link to it here. It's impossible to identify, by the (lack of) information you've given.
--

Eggs

If you can read this, you've just wasted your time on reading the sentence
Patrick wrote:

Post a picture. Tell us where this plant is growing (it makes a huge difference whether it is Honolulu or Fairbanks, Miami or Minneapolis).
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
John McGaw said:

No. Put the pic on the web, and link to it here. This isn't a binary group, thanks.

Did you read the /entire/ OP?
--

Eggs

-Two cows standing next to each other in a field, Daisy says to Dolly "I

Hello Patrick The plant you have is a Weigela - probably Weigela 'Gustav Mallet', on account of a/ the flower colour (color) and b/ the rather pointed leaves - as distinct from the sometimes broader oval leaves of some varieties. It looks a little 'neglected' (The last owner's fault I am sure :-). It needs to be a slightly more moist soil - judging from the brown edges to the leaves. Give it around 4in of mulch around base. As soon as it finishes flowering, cut out the old flowered shoots near to the ground. This will encourage new vigorous basal growth, which should start to give it a little bit more height. Cut out the old flowering shoots after flowering each year, and then cut down around one third of the main stems to ground level each year. This will keep the new growth that is needed for this to be a satisfactory shrub. Hope this helps Data
Data wrote:

Great, thanks for the information!