Trouble taking apart transmission on Echo / Mantis tiller

I have a old Echo tiller with a worm-drive transmission that recently wore out. After a couple hours in the shop and a couple more on Google I still can't figure out how to take apart the transmission.

Over the last year I've developed a strong emotional attachment to the tiller after saving it from the dump and nursing it back to health :) However I can't bring myself to pay the shop $200 for a brand new transmission. Upon inspection of the transmission it appears all I have to do is replace the old worm gear with a new one and put the washers and bearings back where I found them.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to disassemble the transmission. The tine shaft seems to be held into place by a bearing and on either side, but I can't pound or coerce the tine shaft from the assembly (which seems to be the first step).

Thanks, Chip

manual:

chip

take it out that side.