Tree Stumps On Fire?

Saw a product in the Big Orange Depot store...priced less than $10....it says that I can drill some holes, pour this stuff down, and then in a couple of weeks set the stump on fire with kerosene and voila! stump is turned to ash. Anybody have any insight on this product?

Reply to
Todd Lerfondler

It's most likely potassium nitrate. I doubt it would work it's magic that fast on a new stump. An old stump would probably work pretty well. The potassium nitrate gets sucked into the root mass, making it more flammable. I wouldn't want to use Kerosene myself. I rather just clear a safety zone around the stump, then build a nice bonfire on top of it.

Reply to
newsreader

No it doesen't make it more flammable but rather speeds up the decay of the stump.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for clearing that up.

As a kid, I remember my dad always had a bag of potassium nitrate around, which he would somewhat regularly put into holes in the numerous stumps we had in the yard. My understanding was it made the stumps rot away more quickly.

In recent years, I bought a container of ???Green Light??? stump remover from a box store. The directions were just what the original poster described. Said to add into holes, wait a specified time, then burn out the stump with kerosene. I had thought maybe dear old Dad had been missing the last step all those years ago, as he never burned any. Now I see that he was smarter than me. No big surprise.

Reply to
newsreader

I used a product like this on a new stump. It took two applications over the course of 12 months to achieve the desired results. It might work faster on an old stump.

Reply to
Winston Smith