Tree Growth Question

Hello All,
I have a few trees that have suffered damage from recent storms here in the greater Seattle area. I am going to miss some of the privacy and visual warmth they have provided. My question is, which "species" of trees between these two groups are the fastest growing:
Deciduous
Evergreen
Thanks, Steve Banks

Steve, I'm just a little North of you (MV) and I have to add a couple more thoughts for you to consider.
If you get a 'fast growing' tree, it will just keep going and may become a 'monster'. I had an evergreen in my front that just took over, so I had to remove it. It was growing 1.5 to 2 feet each year.
I'd look at mature trees to ensure your selection will (sooner or later) be suitable for that spot.
I recall seeing on the news a few weeks ago, those VERY tall spruce and firs laying over across peoples homes (a little East of you?). The camera men showed the soft ground around the trees and I thought "duh, was there any other expected outcome"? So watch the soft soil if you want a tall variety.
If you want something that grows REALLY fast, look at cottonwood, then poplar or alder. I'd also consider fruit trees. I've also got a Chinese Plum that thinks it's on steroids- it sends out 5 to 6 foot sprouts every year, and I keep pruning it back.
So, I'd look beyond growth rate.
Larry Wager www.BackwoodsMetalArt.com Truly unique creations for Home and Yard

the
between
Hi Larry,
Thanks, I live in Covington to be exact. Thanks for the heads up concerning the soil factor. We have quite a few firs in our yard and surrounding area. Those were the trees pulling up in peoples yards.
A really nice maple in my yard got real torn up from the ice last week. Just a shame.
Thanks again, Steve

be
firs
variety.
Plum
Call your County Extension Agent. His number will be in the blue pages. They are usually the best source of information about particular species for local conditions. Ask to speak to a master gardener if one is available.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:47:57 -0800, "Steven Banks"

-- Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), Florida

Thanks Jackson,
I'll check it out along with an arborist I was trying to get in touch with.
Regards, Steve