Tree B-Gone

Just when you thought you heard everything:
A friend relayed a story to me of a neighbor who decided that he wanted to get rid of a tree.
He decides, for whatever reason, that it would be best to kill the tree before cutting it.
His method to kill the tree: mix together FIVE GALLONS of "Roundup", FOUR GALLONS of "Weed B-Gone", a bag of Scott's granular weed killer, and a half gallon of TURPENTINE ("for extra good measure"?) and pour the concoction into the ground at the base of three tree.
Paul S. wrote:

He'll probably kill everything within 100 feet too.
--
Yard and Garden Handyman

Paul S. wrote:

He'll probably kill everything within 100 feet too.
--
Yard and Garden Handyman

GFRfan wrote:

Why not just gird the tree? By that I mean cutting all around through the outer layers and get slightly into the real wood of the tree. Keep the channel open and do not let it grow together or grow over. The tree should die, given time.
Hoyt W.

half
He could have used total vegetation killer. But this brings up the issue of why anyone would kill a tree with herbicide when they are then faced with a more serious problem of having a dead tree that will eventually fall and/or break. Since you have to remove the tree, dead or alive, it seems like a waste of time and money to kill it first - all other issues aside related to the indiscriminate use of herbicides.

half
yeah? nice. I have a tree out front that isn't coming back, after 6 years. Oh, and I have a grass loving neighbour next door.
Paul S. wrote:

Sounds like an apocryphal story to me. "Five gallons of Roundup" costs a small fortune.
Cut the tree down while it's alive (it's a lot safer that way), then paint the freshly cut stump with undiluted "Brush B-Gone" if you want to prevent it from resprouting.
Bob

I do hope he is on a well.
I think that is the exact recipe for the infamous Vietnam war defoliant Agent Orange.
--
The sick in soul insist it is humanity that is sick, and they are the
surgeons to operate on it. They want to turn the world into a sick room. And