Training old grape vine...

I have a extremely large, (in my opinion), grape vine that has taken over a split rail fence and it has been there for at least 20 years. I would like to extend the fence another 25 feet but instead of using split rail I want to set some 4x4's into the ground and attach "feedlot" panels for the arbor to run through. My questions are whether or not an arbor that old will train itself down the new fence and if not, what is the best way to get it to start running down the new fence? Also, what is the best way to fertilize a large grape arbor? No more fruit grows on it and that's how I want it, it is just a big wall of vines and leaves which is what I want but I am not sure how to fertilize. Thanks very much.

Reply to
For example: John Smith
[...]

Source?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Thanks. I had never heard that before. One (at least this one) would think that roots going that deep, for a vine, would be pointless. There's probably a only trace of oxygen and very little fresh water at that depth. I don't grow grapes, so I have very little reference materials about them. I may pick that one up, just for the helluvit. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly