Tractor starting Problem

I have a 25hp Kohler engine on my 8yr old Yazoo. Last summer it stared having starting problems, it'd click on turning the key, but that's it. A firm tap on the starter would get it going. So I figured starter had to be bad (or solenoid) So I replaced it (With a generic not Kohler Brand), and same results. So now I figured battery must be dead; but being the end of the season I wan't going to buy a new battery to have it sit for months unused. So that brings us to today. Repaced the battery with the same size 350A, book calls for 330A (and noticed old battery was only 2 yrs old) and still same results! What else could cause a starting problem of just clicking (sounds like solenoid engaging) and can be tapped to start but is not the battery, starter, or solenoid?
Thanks Bryan
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Bryan...
Sounds like the only things left are the connections at the starter/solenoid. Take 'em apart, clean them up with a bit of sandpaper until they're nice and shiny, and try again.
Take care.
Ken

Thanks. That may be it. I cleaned the battery side of the cable, wasn't real dirty (small amount of rust, 0 corrosion) but the hot side of the starter end of the cable was pretty rusty. After cleaning, the first attempt to started clicked once then turned over, and the 3 attempts since have fired off right away. So hopefully that was it, not just coinicidence, or being "hot". I'll know next time I go to start it!
Thanks!

You might also want to check all the grounds.

Guess I need to. When I whent to park it tonight, it took several key turns & thus clicks to crank, so cleaning the hot helped, but the ground is much more difficult position to get to, might need to pull the starter to get to it.
Bryan wrote:

[....]
after you get all the connections nice and clean with the sand paper trick. make the reconnections as tight at possible without breaking anything, then coat them in grease. a lite covering of grease will serve the purpose of producing an anti corrosive coating. yea, grass and dust will stick to them, but with regular routine maintenance you'll be glad you did. as an aside note, never under size your battery. doing so will cut the life of the starter.
best