Tractor report

It's that time of the year to get equipment running that has sat all winter.

Got the #2 70's Cub Cadet started without much trouble today. The previous owner had rigged it up to run on a car battery. I let it warm up a few minutes - hooked a garden cart to it - and picked up some firewood length pieces of a walnut tree I cut down last week. Drove it a few hundred feet away and stacked the firewood. Coming back to the shed I got the familiar smell of cooked mouse. Sure enough the suckers had nested again in the motor shroud. Not the first time. These old Kohler engines should have a needle nose plier and die-hook accessory kit.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

This ime it's an Agway 18 HP twin that I had modified. It has the gas tank back under the seat. When I get an old machine like that - that depends on an old diaphram pump to suck the gas up, I like to install a small electric low pressure fuel pump. I get mine from NAPA On this machine I had it hidden under the panel for the shift lever in front of the seat - and wired through the old head light switch which I never use. This time I forgot the fuel pump was there - and tried to start it by priming the carb with a little gas. It fired but wouldn't stay running. Eventually I remembered to turn the fuel pump on. Still didn't catch but I could smell gas. The pump had blown the gas line off the fuel filter. I corrected that problem by replacing the little spring clamp with a small stainless pipe clamp but by that time I had worn the battery down so it is now in my shop getting charged. Will try again tomorror or Friday.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko