Tractor battery light on - what to do?

Hi folks, John Deere GT262 Garden tractor, maybe 10 years old. I jump started my neighbor's tractor (positive to positive, neg to neg) and it went fine. Now my battery light is on when it is running, and otherwise seems to run fine (lights work, PTO engages, runs normally). What might have happened? What should I do? What other information would you like to have to help here? Thanks for the help, Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Jim Ledford

Hi Jim, Yep, my engine was running and I disconnected pretty much right away when his started. Could have been a few seconds maybe. Is there a way to diagnose this? Is this an easy fix? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Folks, Just wanted to close the loop a bit with my issue.

I ended up just disconnecting the battery, cleaning up the connections (which were very shiny but I sanded them anyways), also cleaning up the connection of the ground at the motor bottom, and trying it again. After this last week or so of using it, it shone the light only once the second time I ran it and has not shone the light since. I have used it maybe 7-5 times, for a couple hours or only some minutes each time.

So I don't know what I really 'did'. The connections looked OK, but were cleaned up - maybe that was it, but it all was brought on by that jump start, hmmm. Perhaps I 'reset' something by disconnecting? What do we think about this at this point? I consider the problem solved (the Tomes way of fixing things - take it apart and put it back together again and the problem goes away - works for me a lot ) as the light is off all the time now. I just have little idea what went on and am still fishing for understanding, thanks. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes