torpedo grass weed

anyone know how to get rid of this?
I've got torpedo grass in the island garden.
I thought about covering the island up with old newspapers & plastic mulch. but then I read that TG just goes through it.
http://experts.about.com/q/Lawns-725/Torpedo-grass.htm
it mentions using sugar or baking soda as an organic remedy.
kind of an odd way to do this.
Dilbert Firestorm said:

Sugar will feed microbes that help keep the soil healthy, nothing more. The theory is; weeds don't like "healthy" soils, and thrive in poor ones. So, if you keep the soil in good shape, you won't have the weed. True, to some extent, but sugar's a rather expensive treatment, for the results you're likely to get.
Panicum repens is sensitive to both glyphosate and imazapyr. Both are broad-spectrum herbicides, and will most likely kill any herbaceous growth they touch. If the P. repens is in an area with plants you'd like to keep, you'd best stick with pulling by hand. If you don't mind starting that bed over, then several treatments of the above chemicals (according to strength recommendations on packaging) should do the trick.
HTH
--
Eggs

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?
I said:

Not to mention, you'll probably attract more ants (and other sugar-loving insects), than "feed" microbes. ;)
--
Eggs

A: Top-posters.
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

btw, do you know if putting plastic sheet & mulch on top of the soil will keep out TG?
Dilbert Firestorm said:

Yes.
I told you the two that I'm sure will kill it. Fusilade II *may* do the trick, but as it's more of a selective herbicide, the chances are less. A controlled burn will also eliminate the weed.

Probably, but it's not a species I have to deal with here, so I really can't say. If you've got the room where it's growing to lay down plastic, then why don't you have room to spray the area with a broad-spectrum herbicide?
--
Eggs

-Buy one for the price of two and get the second one free!