Tomato Worm!

My deck growing tomatoes (in pots) are nearing their end - and I see several some 2"-long green 'worms' with white things on their back and two little black eyes that stare at me while they are chomping away.
I never had these before, b ut then I never tired pots before. What should I use next year if I have the same problem?
Thanks
Pick them off, kill them, and enjoy your day. You may not see those worms again for 10 years, Or, you might. It's got nothing to do with growing in pots. Don't freak out and start buying all sorts of chemicals, either.

It's a hornworm, and the white things are where a wasp or yellow jacket has laid it's eggs in a parasitic fashion. Kill it and move on.
FDR wrote:

Zackly what should have been done with the parasitic Slick Willy & Mrs. As it is their planning a re-infestation.
wrote in message

Maybe we can get Arnold to TERMINATE them before they get any more pestier!

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:31:08 +0000, geezer wrote:

Do not kill the ones with lots of eggs on them that are already weakened. You want a new generation of wasps to help control the hornworms. Kill the healthy ones. They are voracious, and they will grow to four inches long. daveA
--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique". Nothing else is close.

I hope this is a joke - really. That's all I need is a 'generation' of wasps. I gotta research all this a little.
Thanks\

I've seen exactly 2 tomato hornworms in 25 years of growing tomatoes. And, I'm out there constantly. I'd definitely notice. Lighten up. This is probably the easiest pest you'll ever have to deal with. At least they're big enough to see, and they move slowly enough to deal with.
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:17:18 -0400, David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
A *perfectly* apropos link:
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/hornworm.htm
or you can do what steveo does and jerk off on them about 5 times a day and one right before bed...
geezer wrote:

my leg and run along now.