tomato plant problem ??

Two palnts were doing well on our back yard deck. Within two days most of the leaves had shriveled and turned brown.. We discovered five or six green caterpillar looking insects (approx 2 inches long) on the plants. Any idea what these were and what can we use to prevent this next year ??
Thanx for any replies
Norm Irvine wrote:

Tomato Horn worms. A little powder such as Sevin or Eight will get rid of them.
Try Seranade on the plants to cure the fungus that is killing the lower leaves.