to roll or not to roll...

lawn is real soft now and ive been waiting for it to soften so i ca

roll and even it out somewhat..what would be the downside of this i any?.

-- jellyfish

Reply to
jellyfish

Compacted soil.

Reply to
Steveo

Compacting the high points is what we want, at least if it causes the low points to be filled in. Unfortunately, rolling has not helped my lawn. I rented a standard 24" wide by about 15" in diameter roller and filled it with water. This was towed around behind my tractor for several passes. NFG.

Reply to
Stubby

If you want to do a really good job of this, you would be well served to core aerate the lawn very well first, then roll, then aerate again.

If you are a glutton for work, repeat this process a couple of times.

And by the way, you should probably cut your grass pretty low before starting.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Compacting high points won't fill in low points. Grading does that, dipshit.

I'm sure that ineptness is what's not helping your lawn.

"Standard"? Who's "standard" roller is that small? Please show us this list of roller "standards".

A tractor weighs much more than a cylinder filled with 4.5 gallons of water, idiot. The tractor would do a much better job at compacting your soil, if that's what you're trying to do. That's all you're going to do by the way. If you want a smooth lawn, cut out the sod, properly grade it, then resod.

What's that, the advice you give here? Well, we'll agree on that, then.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I should have expected you'd want the downside. Afterall, you're clueless Stubby.

No it doesn't.

I could have told you that if you would have asked. How do you make it through life being such a dumbass, stub?

Reply to
Steveo

He sets back his aeration two years everytime he rolls it. Hello.

Reply to
Steveo

Maybe have a pro come in with a 800 pound roller if you want to compact the bumps. But it wont fill in the low spots. Also 2 feet is a small ass roller, why the hell would you need to pull it behind a tractor!

Reply to
Mike