Tiller opinions

Our Great Dane has been tilling my back yard for me and now I need to redo it. I was looking for something small and cheap to loosen up the dirt and smooth out the craters before I reseed. Does anyone have any opinions about the Bolens 31cc, 2 cycle cultivator or the RYOBI 25.4 CC Gas Cultivator? Or could someone recomend another one? Thanks

Marc

Reply to
mgarvie

Chas Hurst

They are not called "plows" - they are called "cultivators". They are not meant to prepare a whole garden - they are meant to cultivate stuff that is growing or prepare raised beds - small spots. I bought an old used Mantis and used that for a couple years and then bought a reconditioned Toro from Lowe's for $100. Sold the Mantis for what I paid for it and have used the Toro for a couple years now. We have 9 raised 2' by 8' boxes - it is great for preparing them. I use it a little to cultivate in tight spots like between tomato plants when the get big and spread out - and a little in the vine plants as they spread. Usually just 10 or 15 minutes at a time.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

If those are like the one my wife bought several years ago, they are junk. They may be ok for light duty if the soil is already very soft. That thing only lasted me about 2 years doing a small garden about 10 x 20 feet.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Renting one is my suggestion as well.

Reply to
JB

Any cultivator of that size is primarily built to turn over existing gardens. They do not break new ground very well at all.

Reply to
Art