Thuja Green Giant Screening Trees: Your Experience

I'm interested in planting evergreens to provide privacy screening. My row of Douglas Firs have been decimated by a fungus and need to come down. I came across the Thuja Giant evergreen tree.

What's your experience with the tree? Growth rate? Disease and Pest Resistance? Appearance? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Buster Chops

First hand? None, but I know *of* the species.

Wickedly fast. 3-5 feet per year.

Disease, I'm not positive, but seem to remember reading that it was fairly resistant. Deer and bagworms will leave it alone. That's a big plus.

If you like real skinny, real tall evergreens, then you'll like it. Not my thing, though.

What are you trying to screen your property from? And, how close do you plan to plant them? Do you really need something *that* tall as a "privacy screen" (including the Doug Firs, heh)?

Also, please don't post in HTML when posting to the USENET. It's completely unnecessary, and will quite possibly result in your posts not even being read. Most users I know, block posters who post in HTML format. Many thanks, and HTH.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly