thinking of buying this lawn tractor any opinions ?

This is the one I'm leaning towards ( I like the color) http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid128726000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Lawn+Tractor+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
the kid at Sears was trying to be helpful but he looked like he was 16 and I doubt he ever rode a lawn tractor never mind owned one.
Consumer reports gave this one a best buy at $1649.00, guess it was on sale. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid128724000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Lawn+Tractor+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
CR also liked a John Deer for the same price and same options as the first mower
I think I want to stay away from splash lubrication (but my old Toro is still kicking after 15 years and it has splash)
And I'm not sure about a V twin engine on a mower, any thoughts ?
I can picture myself driving around on one of these with a sharp shovel trying to kill those moles !
Clark
My Sears tractor is 20 years old. I've put a lot of work into keeping it running. Sears no longer makes repair parts available. When I bought the tractor they said parts would be available forever. Now, the limit is one year. Check parts availability and get the contract in writing!
Clark wrote:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid128726000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Lawn+Tractor+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid128724000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Lawn+Tractor+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
I think Craftsman quality has gone to pot. If you want a cheap one go to the local farm store. You will get it cheaper and still have a hard time finding parts.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid128726000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Lawn+Tractor+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid128724000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Lawn+Tractor+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
Get a 30 to 40 yo Wheelhorse, JD, Cub Cadet or Sears for a couple hundred and spend a thousand fixing it up - you can paint it any color you like. You'll save a couple hundred and have a heavier duty machine that will attract a lot of attention.
Thanks for the replies, looks like nobody likes the new stuff.
and hey I like the old Toro but the poor thing is just wearing down, you shoulda seen the guy at Sears when I told him it only had 8hp!
we all know it is not just the hp but the tranny and the gear reduction etc that makes the unit work well, but....
I'll finish with this: My father told me not to spend $1750.00 on one lawn tractor but to spend $899.00 ea. on two lawn tractors.
guess I'll keep thinking (another sleepless night)
Clark

There's something to say about disposable power equipment these days. He might be right.
--
http://newsreader.com /

Clark wrote:

Maybe a beat up old VW, WWII Mescherschmidt, Izeta or the like would do. The price would be about the same and parts (at least for VW) are available :-)

Without an oil change.
--
http://newsreader.com /

Before I found a great deal on a used Deere, I was looking hard at the Craftsman mowers. The feature set I defined was a Kohler engine, 4 deck wheels, cast axles, and a deck between 38 and 42".
I called Briggs & Stratton's tech support line to ask about the Intek engines. If I recall correctly, the lube system only filtered and pressurized the oil going to the bearing at the output shaft. This was a disappointment to me, because the marketing literature might lead you to believe that it was a full filter/lube oil system.
To answer your question, unless your current mower is dead, why not wait until end of season close outs and get the same mower for several hundred dollars or get one with a Kohler engine for roughly the price on the one with the Briggs Intek engine?
KB

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid128726000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Lawn+Tractor+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Lawn+Tractors&pid128724000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Lawn+Tractor+Series&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I bought a Craftsman mower and paid the xtra bucks for a Kohler engine. After 2 years it developed an oil leak and a noisy hydraulic tappet. I took the engine apart myself to find a warped cover on the oil pump that leaked oil and allowed air into the lube system causing the noisey tappet. Forget a Kohler engine in a Craftsman mower. It's a cheap mower, get a cheap engine.

Depending on which Craftsman mower you buy, it may be built on the same production line as a nearly identical Husqvarna mower, and Husqvarna makes good products.
A leaky cover in your Kohler engine is one of *those things* that do happen. However, one instance doesn't invalidate the overall concept that a Kohler engine is better than a Briggs engine. Bigger bearings, full pressure/filtered lubrication, etc. That doesn't mean that people don't get 10 and 20 years out of Briggs engines, but in general, a Kohler will be a longer lasting, more robust engine.
My Deere has a Kawasaki engine, so I don't have a dog in this fight...
KB

happen.
get
Humm. Looks like I went for the wrong tractor. Just ordered a Toro with a B&S. Was offered a Husqvarna with a Kohler or Kawasaki V twin for less. Oh bother :-)
I went for the Toro because I'd heard the mower was more robust than the Husqvarna or Deer. It's also got a quick change between collect an mulch.