Tecumseh Engine won't keep running

I just purchased an old Ariens lawn mower today at a yard sale with
Tecumseh 5 Hp engine. My husband got it started, but it won' continue to run without pushing the primer button. Any ideas
-- Terry Co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Terry Cox's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid  View this thread: http://www.homeplot.com/showthread.php?tY05
Terry Cox wrote:

Find a more humane way to kill the old fart.

You've answered your own question. When you push the primer button it pumps fuel into the carburetor. So it is likely not getting enough gas. Check for blockages in the tank and line. Pull the carb, disassemble and clean it. Fill with fresh fuel.
Barren
i agree with barren,, also,pay particular attention to the passage in the bowl nut, it feeds gas when running.lucas
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Is it part of the TOS for webtv users to talk to themselves?
On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 18:51:26 -0400, Terry Cox

Try loosening the gas cap to see if the gas tank is building pressure preventing gas flow.
Thunder
I have the same problem . My husband took apart the float assembly and found the float hard a leak in it . It could not float so the gas did not flow in . It was a real pain getting the float out and in again . ( patience ( their is a needle valve attached to the top of the float that goe up in to adjust gas flow . It is free seated on top and it take a stedy hand and we used hemostats to slide the pin back in which hold the floats on . If you have any more questions drop us a line and we could go into more detail . The flaot only costs a few dollars but it did the trick a pin hole caused it to fill up with gas and it stayed down floading the engine. It works great now

In that case it would flood.

If the float had hole in it it would just keep letting in more gas. I hate those things. Normaly I won't work on a Tecumseh but once in a while I am forced to. I have taken the jet out of the carb and cleaned it and the bowl and put it back and got it to run OK. Give me a Briggs anytime.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley