Tall Fescue Lawn Question

I read at various places to not put tall fescue seed in a kentucky bluegrass lawn. My question is this: I think I have a lawn filled with K31 tall fescue. Is ok to reseed it with a newer variety or should I stick to K31 for a more uniform appearance? Thanks.

Reply to
No One

No One

Why don't put tall fescue with blue grass? I purchase a blend for overseeding that has both mixed together. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the advice,

tom

***************** Check Us Out *****************
Bringing back low-cost online car ads to the web!
Reply to
newsgroups01REMOVEME

Tall fescue won't blend w/ Kentucky Blue. It grows quicker and has a much coarser leaf.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Nope, they sell them blended for seeding. I've used tons..the more blue you add, the more it costs. Tall Fescue doesn't spread much..one seed = one plant..sorta.

Reply to
Steveo

Better tell the suppliers to stop selling it as a blend, by the train car load then. ;)

Reply to
Steveo

The issue with mixing kentucky blue grass and tall fescue is that as Peter pointed out, tall fescue is a larger blade grass and grows faster, tending to crowd out the blue grass. However, there are newer varieties of tall fescue like Duster or Montauk, that have finer blades and are slower growing. Those should be better at blending with blue grass.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

completely redo

Which brings me back to my original question. Will the old tall fescue K31 do the same thing to the newer tall fescue? Thanks.

Reply to
No One

Yes, I'd kill it first, and then plant a turf type tall fescue/blue blend.

Fall is -great- for that.

Reply to
Steveo

It all depends what you like and what you are trying to do. K31 is a coarser tall fescue, but I don;t think it will crowd out one of the newer finer blade varieties because they are still similar grasses. If you are satisfied with how your lawn looks, but want to fill in areas, thicken it, then you can probably overseed with one of the newer tall fescues or just use K31. I wouldn't use the newer one in an area like one big empty spot without K31 too, because then you will likely notice a difference.

If you want a different, finer look, better color, less mowing, disease/insect resistance, etc, then killing it and starting over is the way to go.

Along the way, I'd test the soil and make sure you have the right PH, etc. I'd use a slice seeder and wait till fall.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

coarser leaf.

Yep, I bought sod that is a mix of turf type tall fescue and bluegrass. A year later, it looks great.

Reply to
Heidi the Horrible

I consider K31 part of the Al-Quaeda network and attempt to eradicate it wherever it hides and replace it with a multicultural, democratic society of Turf type tall fescue and bluegrass.

Reply to
Heidi the Horrible

Obviously writen by a person who really enjoys 'grass'

:-P

later,

tom

****************
*********** Our Latest site:
newsgroups01REMOVEME

Reply to
No One

That's a racially insensitive comment considering the internet is a world-wide forum.

Reply to
Tiger Woods

Hey Tiger,

Get off the computer and get to the driving range and try to learn to hit a fairway.

HtH

Reply to
Heidi the Horrible

I spray the Al-Quaeda network with 2-45T ester of silvex..nukes them bastards nicely.

Reply to
Steveo

I actually planted some K31 last year in pasture and it looks great. I just don't allow it in my lawn.

Kind of like funding terrorists but only as long as they just fight against the Russians.

Reply to
Heidi the Horrible