Tall Fescue Lawn Question

I read at various places to not put tall fescue seed in a kentucky bluegrass lawn. My question is this: I think I have a lawn filled with K31 tall fescue. Is ok to reseed it with a newer variety or should I stick to K31 for a more uniform appearance? Thanks.
I'm sorry i meant to add seed to the existing lawn not completely redo the lawn.
No One wrote:

Why don't put tall fescue with blue grass? I purchase a blend for overseeding that has both mixed together. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for the advice,
tom
***************** Check Us Out ***************** http://www.CarFleaMarket.com Bringing back low-cost online car ads to the web!

Tall fescue won't blend w/ Kentucky Blue. It grows quicker and has a much coarser leaf.
Peter H

Better tell the suppliers to stop selling it as a blend, by the train car load then. ;)
coarser leaf.

Yep, I bought sod that is a mix of turf type tall fescue and bluegrass. A year later, it looks great.
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

Nope, they sell them blended for seeding. I've used tons..the more blue you add, the more it costs. Tall Fescue doesn't spread much..one seed one plant..sorta.

The issue with mixing kentucky blue grass and tall fescue is that as Peter pointed out, tall fescue is a larger blade grass and grows faster, tending to crowd out the blue grass. However, there are newer varieties of tall fescue like Duster or Montauk, that have finer blades and are slower growing. Those should be better at blending with blue grass.
Chet Hayes wrote:
wrote:

completely redo

kentucky
filled
or
for
wrong?
blue
seed > > one plant..sorta.

newer
Which brings me back to my original question. Will the old tall fescue K31 do the same thing to the newer tall fescue? Thanks.

Yes, I'd kill it first, and then plant a turf type tall fescue/blue blend.
Fall is -great- for that.

It all depends what you like and what you are trying to do. K31 is a coarser tall fescue, but I don;t think it will crowd out one of the newer finer blade varieties because they are still similar grasses. If you are satisfied with how your lawn looks, but want to fill in areas, thicken it, then you can probably overseed with one of the newer tall fescues or just use K31. I wouldn't use the newer one in an area like one big empty spot without K31 too, because then you will likely notice a difference.
If you want a different, finer look, better color, less mowing, disease/insect resistance, etc, then killing it and starting over is the way to go.
Along the way, I'd test the soil and make sure you have the right PH, etc. I'd use a slice seeder and wait till fall.
I consider K31 part of the Al-Quaeda network and attempt to eradicate it wherever it hides and replace it with a multicultural, democratic society of Turf type tall fescue and bluegrass.
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 19:47:48 -0400, "Heidi the Horrible"

Obviously writen by a person who really enjoys 'grass'
:-P
later,
tom
**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *********** Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com *******************************************************
That's pretty funny. My war must be less promising than your's. I am using the K31 troops to help eradicate my other weeds. I might turn on them afterwards, but for now I'll let them fight for me. The major enemies are Creeping Charlie, Violets, and Wild Strawberry. Those damn violets are tough bastards, in my yard they can survive a single nuclear blast of roundup. It staggers the crap out of them, but they're still standing.
Heidi the Horrible wrote:

it
society of

I actually planted some K31 last year in pasture and it looks great. I just don't allow it in my lawn.
Kind of like funding terrorists but only as long as they just fight against the Russians.

of
That's a racially insensitive comment considering the internet is a world-wide forum.

society
Hey Tiger,
Get off the computer and get to the driving range and try to learn to hit a fairway.
HtH

I spray the Al-Quaeda network with 2-45T ester of silvex..nukes them bastards nicely.