Sunflowers and Insects

Hello all,

My mother-in-law plated sunflowers outside of our kitchen. Even though they are a nice looking plant, my wife and I have a problem with them. For the last week or two, when they really started blooming, we have seen fleas in our kitchen. They are real small, but they are all over the counters. Does this sound like something that was caused by the sunflowers, or is it just coincidence.

Another thing is the leaves seem to have a white fuzz on them. The fuzz looks like white spots on the leaves.

I really don't know much about gardening, but am looking into learning some stuff.

Thank you all for your time.

Kyle

Reply to
Kylan Swank

You are not seeing fleas, because you can't see them unless you have a huge infestation. Fleas move fast and are hardly ever visible unless on their host (dog, cat). Even then you have to go searching & be quick.

They may be some other kind of small bug, gnat, etc.

The white fuzz may be spider mites.

I have sunflowers just outside my kitchen too. They are lovely, and I have no bugs. They do attract beautiful finches. I recommend them!

Reply to
Betsy

Maybe those bugs are fruit flies, do you have fruit on your kitchen counters?

Reply to
Former Organ Donor

The little insects are probably Spring Tails...grayish/dark hop when ya try to kill them, but are soft bodoed where fleas are trather tough. Moisture on the outside of that wall probably need to be addressed to reduce their numbers.

Lar

Reply to
Lar