String Trimmer Recommendation

I want to purchase a gas powered string trimmer for my 1.4 acre lawn. I do not have a lot of tough stuff, but need to trim grass and small weeds around trees, fences, etc. I am considering the Troy-Built TB25CS and the Yard-Man YM26CS. Since both are made by the same company I assume there are of similar quality. The main difference I see is the TB has a 31 cc 2 cycle engine and the YM has a 26 cc 4 cycle engine. Each is available for $109 and each weighs 15 pounds.. The TB is highly rated by CR and claims easy starting but I prefer a 4 cycle so I don't have to fool with mixing oil and gas. Does anyone know if the YM is easy to start? I don't have the strength or time to fiddle with a hard to start engine. Any information or recommendation would be appreciated.
I don't know about either on e you mentoned but I have 2 Steihl's and love them. Easy to start and light. Real workhorses.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley
get you a straight shaft echo trimmer at home depot. they are 2 stroke though. and use echo oil mix .
Who is going to fix it at HD if something goes wrong? Buy from a Servicing Dealer. JD

Places like Home Depot, Lowes and Wal-mart outsource warranty work. Getting repairs is a hassle and takes longer but you can take it back to be repaired.

YardMan and TroyBilt are junk.
Get a Stihl. Mine runs great and is tough as nails. Starts on second pull every. Had it four years and never in the shop.
Oscar_Lives Wrote:

I have to agree here, Working for a Stihl dealer and servicing othe brands shows Stihl is the only way to go it you want ease of startin and durability
-- restrorob
restrorob wrote:

no need to bad mouth Stihl since I own and use their BR400, HS45, HT101, SH85 and all are very well made to take the all day use and tough jobs I can toss at them. I bought these tools back in the year 2003 and 2004. in 10 years, if they continue to preform as they have, I'll be able to say they have stood the test of time and endurance. currently the only tool in my lawn care business I can say has stood the test of time and endurance is at this time going to be the Shindaiwa T260 string trimmer. bought the T260 back in 1994 on a friends recommendation and have not for one split second regretted it.
btw - guess who is now building engines for Stihl?
Jim wrote: > btw - guess who is now building engines for Stihl?
How about a hint, like for what product? Stihl makes many.
--
Art

Art wrote:

string trimmers. Stihl was smart to make this pick since the choice engines have a history of proven service. Stihl was also smart to out source so they could remain cost competitive.
Stihl has a good product and a reputation for being there to service what they sell. I'm glad Stihl did not decide to cut quality so they could remain cost competitive with foreign competitors whose labor cost are much less.
Jim wrote:

I give up. Who is building their trimmer engines now?
--
Art

Art wrote:

Shindaiwa
Jim wrote:

No way, that is just not possible. I can't believe it. Got anything to back that up?
--
Art

To answer the question of watering. Several machines were available but the best bang for the buck seemed to be the Rapid Rain 860 machine. We purchased it online at http:\\www.rapidrain.com and have been very pleased . Hope this helps
I bought a Stihl Km110 4-Mix.. Kombi System.. Multi tool..
I have the trimmer edger and polesaw..
Honestly it's the last trimmer I will ever buy..
Will start on 2 -3 pulls.. on a filled tank from dry..
Goto a dealer and get one.. My friends has an echo and loves his.. However I love my Stihl MS250 Saw. So I bought the trimmer.. Only one problem.. Loves the string.. ;)