Strange tree/animal problem

Over the past few days, I have observed a number of twigs & branches from one of the maple tree's in my yard scattered about the yard. They appear to be cut at an angle but it is not a shear cut, more ragged. I suspect an animal is doing this and am looking for a way to stop it. I have no idea what animal is involved. I live in a rural subdivision. I have not seen this occur before and none of my neighbor's are experiencing it. Any clues what animal might be causing this and how I can prevent it?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Squirrels. They do the same to my sunburst locust tree. They break off small branches to make a nest sometimes. I don't know how you can prevent it. Maybe that is nature's way of natural pruning? :-)

Reply to
Carolyn

I agree it's likely squirrels builidng a nest, thought they do tend to make a very clean cut. In any event, I wouldn't worry about it, as it won't harm the tree.

Reply to
trader4