Storage Boxes Similar to old Rubbermaid -- where buy ?

Up until about two years ago, Rubbermaid made large folding lid storage boxes ( maybe around 40-50 gallon?) that were real handy for storage of things around the house. They also made various sizes of smaller boxes, with slip-on tops.

The products made by Rubbermaid now are extremely flimsy, very thin plastic that literally bends almost in half when you pick it up. Most of these boxes made now are almost useless for heavy storage, and if left out in the cold, will crack in the winter.

Does anyone know where I could find **similar** boxes today? Or, is there a "list" somewhere where I could find someone who may have some of these older, studier Rubbermaid boxes around not being used, that they would sell ?? Where would I find such a source? I have often wondered if there was a sort of "ebay in reverse", where you could list what you are LOOKING for (instead of things for sale).

If anyone can answer some of these questions, I would apppreciate it very much !!

Thank YOu !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

I have 2 tan Rubbermaid trash cans that I bought 24 years ago for the kitchen and basement. Still work great but about 15 years ago my wife wanted a white one. That one lasted about 4 years. The next generation about 2 years and now the ones you buy suck brand new. These are the kind that you step on to lift the lid. The plastic mechanism is so thin they are useless. We are both out of luck.

Reply to
Art

I bought some at Costco a couple of years ago. Used for storage of tools in my company van. They survived the move well and I am happy with them. They had a folding lock green top, not expensive at all.

Reply to
SQLit

thanks for the tip about Costco.

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

You could look for Sterilite products. I know people that use these for

*everything*, from back hall to patio to garage to van. (Of course, everything is properly labeled too -- don't you hate them?)
know Rubbermaid still makes durable patio and garage storage bins and cabinets. It may be there just wasn't a market for the general storage stuff you're talking about -- I know when I buy that sort of thing it's usually looking for the cheapest around! (Hard to justify when an old wine box can do almost as good a job, except it's ugly.) Maybe to be competitive they had to come out with a line of lower-quality cheap utility bins and some major retailers don't carry the tough stuff anymore. Look around for Rubbermaid "Rough" and "Durabull" products, or look at some of the commercial suppliers.

Hve you called them? Newell Rubbermaid is considered a top-flight company by Wall Street, envied for its quality programs and overall management, and impressive repurposing of plastics for equipment that used to be metal or wood (e.g. utility carts).

Reply to
Dan Hartung