Still going back and forth with Sears

This friggen thing must have been built by retarded illegal immigrants on a Friday before a three day weekend,

Don't get me wrong, there are allot of things I like about this lawn tractor, but. for those who forget or don't know, the link is here.

|3 The Sears guy came to see the mower for the 2nd time about a month ago, at my request to check the engine after the motor was stopped cold by a friggen twig, anyway.

The Sears guy did like the Toro (32" 8hp rear engine) and looked at that more than the one he was supposed to be looking at, but I digress.

I have really have liked the new mower since I took apart the seat kill switch and fixed it so I could lean or stand up if I have to (a little cardboard and some shipping tape did the trick) yea, I was gonna do paper clips but it is a four wire switch etc. Oh and the new blades are allot tougher.

The reason I called Sears this time (I'm starting to think I'm a pain in the ass) but, The mower deck has 6 settings as do most, and well 3 hits the ground and 2 and 1 , well, don't work.

So I went to Sears today and checked all their models, guess what? All of the mowers worked from 1 to 6 and topped out at four inches. (yes I brought a tape measure too)

The deck just sits to low, for instance I need to mow at a height of 5 and even then I'm at a mere 1 1/2 inches ( it tops out at 1 3/4 inches at six)

The Mower deck is supposed to max out on 6 at a level of 4 inches

I tried adjusting everything! I even went to Tractor Supply and bought a cable crimp and put it on the "non adjustable" side (then adjusted the other side) , but then level one, two and six did not work (but I did get about 3

1/2 inches of blade height at level 5).

Any ideas???? I have a month before I can just return it, but like I said there are allot of things I like about this mower.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

This is beaten to death. For God's sake return it and get a good mower. Why are you so in love with an apparent piece of shit. There are lots of good ones out there, sold by people who will look after you.

|3>>

Reply to
jacko

|3>>

You shouldn't have to do anything special with the mower deck (the cable crimp). And Sears should be able to set it up so it sits at the correct heights. If not how about asking them to exchange it for another of the same model ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Hi!

See my post on 8/12/07.

Can relate to what you're saying.

Update. Received phone call from extended warranty assigned repair facility on the day after I received the repair parts for my Troybilt riding mower form mtdonline website. They wanted to know when to come out and pick it up. Told them I fixed it myself in lieu of all the time to contact me for that purpose.

I was mistaken in the bolt/washer/nut in the RH side of the deck connection to the rod that lowers/raised the deck. Nut/bolt/washer are only on the LH part of the deck assy. Only a pin assy is involved on RH side. Not a cotter pin as the online parts pictorial indicated. I went to Lowes to view an assembled riding mower identical to mine to verify. Installed the missing pin, it works like a charm.

|3>>

Reply to
Dave

on 8/27/2007 6:50 PM jacko said the following:

I agree. For the OP> Take off the new blades you put on. Have them replace the mower with one that does have all the height settings, and then replace the blades with the new ones you bought, or... Get your money back and buy a different mower.

|3>>>>

Reply to
willshak

Not patient man Jacko? This is their last chance on the mower, It's not so much I love it but, the features it has are the one's Kathy likes. And after all in her words she wants to be comfortable and be able to mow with it when " Your not around " of course meaning if I get hit by a meteorite tomorrow and die. time will tell.

Clark

|3>>>>

Reply to
Clark

Oh I still have the old blades you bet. If the unit does go back it won't be with the new blades.

Clark

|3>>>>>>

Reply to
Clark

Aha, now I get it. It's not you that's in love with it. Ya gotta go with the boss. :-) Just don't let Sears get over your time. You paid 100% and should get 100% satisfaction. There are plenty of other mowers out there with similar features. You know of course that Sears doesn't manufacture mowers. They are made by Murray, Yardman or similar manufacturer. Look around and you'll probably find the exact same mower, sold under a different brand name but sold by a dealer with some ethics. Good luck.

|3>>>>>>

Reply to
jacko

Husqvarna is making their mowers (which by the way is owned by electrolux) , that's a good chunk of the purchase decision. If Sears puts me off again Kathy is going to deal with them. (they will be very sorry, as I used to work with her and I know what the woman is capable of)

Thanks. Clark

|3>>>>>>>>

Reply to
Clark

Hello Clark

It's on topic so carry on. (can you still return it?)

Reply to
Steveo

Yup, thirty more days, but because I "admitted" to hitting a stick with the thing they want the Sears repair guy out to look at it first, to make sure the mowing of the stick did not damage the mowing deck in such a way that it hinders the deck level height adjustment.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

Watch out that 'thirty more days' doesn't string you past your no return date eventually. I'd try the 'come and get this junk out of my garage' approach now if you hate it that much. (just sayin)

You should like -new- gear, no?

Reply to
Steveo

If they offer a new mower that works as it should, Kathy and I will be happy, did I mention the V twin engine sounds like a motorcycle when you start it up? Great now everybody in the group knows why I wanna keep it... ;-)

Clark

Reply to
Clark

Dang.

Reply to
Steveo

It does sound sweet... reminds me of my 1978 KZ 650 Kawasaki, (That I still own and still runs good) One of the first Super bikes! only bested by the 1977 KZ 1000 back then

Clark

Reply to
Clark
[...]

Or, a 10" stick. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

I hear ya, the old lady clipped your freedom! :)

Reply to
Steveo

Hi everyone ;-) This is my first time on this group so I'd like to say a "Big Hello from West Texas".

Out in this part of the world, West Texas & Eastern New Mexico Sears shut down all the local repair stations and don't even have a traveling repair person, now when a mower needs to be fixed they want you to take it to a Sears store where it will be shipped 500 miles to Albuquerque, New Mexico where they will check it out and call you about needed repairs and of course you can't look at the parts they say are bad. Mine isn't in warranty so I let a local fix anything with a motor shop fix it and was happy with the service.

I hope everyone enjoys Labor Day next Monday.

Albert of Earth The E-mail address is fake so please don't try.

Reply to
Albert of Earth

[....]

How close to Midland are you and is Midland still there?

[....]
Reply to
Jim

Midland is still there but fortunately I am 180 miles northeast of there. Albert of Earth

Reply to
Albert of Earth