Sprinkler cut by cable Co?

I had Cable TV installed a few weeks ago. Someone came out and painted lines all over my front and side yard. Now two weeks after, I notice the back yard sprinkler system is not working. The system comes on early in the AM and with all the rain the past month we just have not needed the water. I was up early the other day and noticed the back zone not working.

I have three zones, two in the front and one in the back yard. The 3 valves are all located in the front yard side by side. I can think of no other reason for the back yard to stop working other then a line being cut by the cable co. It is possible that they were able to cut just one zone? It would seem like all the wireing is together and that isn't possible.

I was able to manually turn on the valve for the back zone and everything worked just fine.

The sprinker system came with the house and I am without a clue as to how they are laid and wired.

All hellpful Suggestions are welcomed. All flames are fwd to my Mother In Law at the rest home. she has nothing else to do other then play bingo and trace fake headers.

MY

Reply to
Cherry Darling

I got something for you to 'feed' to your mil...

Reply to
G Henslee

It's always possible that a valve simply died. Coincidences do occur. If you're handy then put a voltmeter on the valve and turn it on via the control. If there's no signal then the connection has been lost. It could be anywhere along the circuit. At the control, near the valve or because someone cut it.

Reply to
wkearney99

wkearney99,

thank you for the response. I have a volt-ohm meter. Using it is a different matter. If you can help me just a bit more..... I should be getting a voltage increase when the timer switches to the "failed" valve? It should be low voltage, right, lest then 12 or so?

The wires all seem to be together, like maybe 6 copper strands, wrapped in plastic, then all 6 wrapped into 1 wire. It this how it is usually ran between the Timer box and the valves? If so the likely hood of them just cutter 1 wire of the 6 seems low. If wires are ran everywhere then I guess it is possible. What do you think?

MY

Thanks again for the advice.

Reply to
Cherry Darling

You rock. I'm sure she'd be greatful, and you'd save lots on the birth control. You know what 86 yo trim is like don't you. Of course you do. Duhhh. Well, for everyone else, the answer is " DEPENDS."

Sorry for those easily offended. And I've sworn never to feed the trolls.

Reply to
Cherry Darling

The obvious comment here would be...

If you don't know where the wiring/plumbing is for your sprinkler system is, how would the cable company know? Considering the size of the wiring, it would be very easy to break a wire and not even know about it.

...and an even more obvious question is...

Did the cable company even do any digging on your property?

(Came late into the thread so forgive me if I missed something)

Reply to
Noozer

No problem. In fact I'm servicing your mother too. Plenty to go round.

You're a top posting 'jealous' weakling.

Reply to
G Henslee

Typically cable companies use subcontracted labor for installation work., Those guys come out with a cable loaded ditch witch and pretty much lay the cable following whichever path uses the least amount of cable. They don't follow easements in any fashion. So if the shortest path from your chosen entry point to the box is diagonally across your entire back yard, that's how they lay the cable.. Here they lay the cable around 6-8 inches deep, if it's the same there I'd imagine it would be very easy for them to cut wiring to a sprinkler valve.

Reply to
JoeT

I understand. Not bad, eh? It is only to be expected that your little brother would only be able to hold your attention for a short time before you had to finally try a female, albeit one who could pose little threat ( my MIL if you remember from your post where you said you had something for her.) Having cut your teeth on that and stroking your ego, you were ready to try a women. You mom must be very proud. Of course she may not know that you are ready to feed her next.

I always like to try to guess what kind of person it is that starts these flames and attacks. Age, education level, maturity, race, all of that. Now I realize that responding to you doesn't make me an ignorant person, just one easily baited and immature.

So, I deduct from you age based on the "your mama" attack. As well as your intelligence. The fact that you are knowlegeable about top post vs bottom post means you spend a good deal of time on the net. The fact you support bottom posting subtracts from your intelligence.

The fact that you call me "jealous" and there is no setup or reference of this in our text......well that drops you a whole 10 IQ points. The fact that you put jealous in "" takes off another 10.

The weakling comment leads me to believe you are projecting anger at your impotence with your little brother and those whose picked on you in school.

All in all, I'd say, you have tried college, didn't manage to make it through a quarter or two if that. You are in a Tech school, but only occasionally, yet you feel that you will be superior to those you are around now when you finish school. You work in a low paying manual labor job, but nothing cool or manly. You probably stock or sweep floor or work in a plant nursery. You live in your mom's basement. You think you have a girlfriend but it is only one sided, she doesn't know you live. You play Yu-Gi-Oh and have a weight problem because you eat when you are under stress.

Tell me. I nailed it, didn't I?

Just give me a hint. I'm right on it. Write back soon. I'll check again around 10. Maybe you could try me after you mom.

Reply to
Cherry Darling

You're not only a stupid f*ck with too much time on your hands, you're boring as hell and un-original...

Reply to
G Henslee

I nailed the hell out of it. But don't give me all the credit. My father did his PhD work with pediaphiles and he gave me your PROFILE right off the back. Stay careful, just keep putting it to YOUR brother and Your Mother only and you could get away with it for years. My dad gets paid a lot of money for his work, so you were unhooded by the best.

Now, I am a f*ck.....yes indeed. Too much time on my hands?......Anlother possibility. Boring as hell and un-original? After years of sodimizing your brother, baby I would rock your world. There is no comparison between buggering a young boy and riding my highway. So, if you want to get on your little moped and come over, or borrow your moms car, I have some sugar walls for you.

Also, I feel we know each other ( well, I know you much better then you know me,) but I'd be happy to talk via email or phone even. If MOM lets you have a phone in the basement.

MY

Reply to
Cherry Darling

like your brain stem.

Chase the ball mutt. Here ya go, fetch!

Reply to
G Henslee

Curious how brave posters are using a nome de plume..... Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.

-- Aldo Leopold

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski

Yeah, he's just a fruitcake, set your newsreader to ignore his posts.

Reply to
wkearney99