split rails

How can I split my oun logs to make split rails thanks

How long are your logs? (ducks)
--
http://NewsReader.Com /

About 8 foot>

Normally wedges are used. Some species split easier than others and some don't really split at all. What species do you contemplate splitting?

Poplar is not very rot resistant, both species can be split. Splitting is easier when the wood is frozen.
Chas Hurst wrote:

Compared to what?
Poplar is what most split rail fences are made of because it is fairly rot resistant and tolerates years of weathering. Compared to other un-treated woods, poplar is an excellent choice.
Now if he could use treated wood for the posts that would be even better.
--
Art

Compared to locust, cedar, redwood, white oak.

With a wedge, dear Gary dear Gary dear Gary...
BTH (Sorry, but you're lucky there was no applicable line from "Oklahoma" or I'd still be singing...)