Spiders in my shop HELP

I am getting large spiders in my shop . I mean huge hairy ones. What kind of spray works the best that I can mix up an put in my spayer to kill these spiders ? Just wondering what you guys have used with succes ? What would like a professional use , say like Orkin or other contractors ? Thanks, Raz

Reply to
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV

You might try Talstar or Bifen but spiders are a different breed, not sure it will kill them it might just make them stay away. Do a search on Ebay for Talstar so you will know what to expect for a price.

Reply to
Tracy Viles

I would imagine using an aerosol bomb or fogger:

may want to cover plastic seats on atv's before setting off bombs or doing extensive spraying as finish may be affected.

I'm not fond of the large spiders that pop up in my family room and lay down some of the sticky mouse traps that will also catch bugs.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Remember that spiders are not insects, so the common insecticides made to control roaches, ants, etc will kill spiders on contact, but not so effective as a residual control. Foggers will only kill what spiders the fog contacts, there is no residual left behind. Micro encapsulated forms of insecticides will have the longer residual for them, but with the larger spiders even though they have enough insecticide on them to kill them it can be hours if not days before they may die. Also treat a band around the perimeter of the structure to help reduce some of the population.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Generally, I leave spiders alone. In my house, in my shop, in my garage, in my garden. They don't generally setup housekeeping unless there's adequate food supply. Otherwise, they move on. They are nature's version of insect "roundup". Generally, you leave them alone, they pay the same favor. You probably need something more than to kill the spiders if they've been there for a couple of weeks. Hopefully, you'll figure it out without chemical aids. Dave

Reply to
Dave

on 9/19/2007 10:29 PM Dave said the following:

I haven't seen Garden spiders in a few years, but this year they seem to have had a resurgence. I had this big beautiful intricate web strung between a Japanese Maple and a Rhododendron. It was about 2' across. My wife accidentally walked through it and destroyed it. The next day, there was another great web between the rear view mirror and the door latch end on my truck with an anchor going down to the driveway. I felt bad destroying it so I could move my truck. I'm looking around for another that I can photograph.

Reply to
willshak

Got a spider that had a 6 foot web between the top rail and ceiling on front porch. He was there for about a month. He moved to the fence. Made web between the fence top and the fence post that extends up 8' at the gate entry. He's about 3" across at the legs, black and yellow in color. Same species spider made web between the ground and the top of the front tire on my parked pickup. Both have been out those locations for about a month. I will have to drive my pickup soon, hope he moves okay. Dave

Reply to
Dave

I eat everything I kill.

(Dammit, I hate it when I have to kill bugs.)

Reply to
GWB

Good day. This time of the year is spider breeding season, so the males are wandering around looking for a mate. These spiders most likely have been in the shop the whole time and now your seeing them out in the open.

Before you bomb the place or lay down a bunch of chemicals that will kill the spiders and otherwise harm you, I would highly suggest that you look at spider traps. These have worked very well for me and this is a great time of the year to use them. They have a pheromone that attracts them to their sticky demise!

Good luck........

Reply to
Timothy

I did forget to mention that I had a lot of crickets in the early summer so I sprayed for them. I have swept the ones up in the middle of the florr but I haven't moved things around from the walls to sweep all the dead ones. Could this be attracting the spiders ? and keeping them alive ? Thanks, Raz

Reply to
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV

Spiders catch live prey. An urban acre is supposed to have a population of over a million spiders...an acre of meadow land can be between 2-5 million spiders. Along with if you are in a part of the country that has been extra wet this year there will be extra foods for spiders thus allowing even higher spider numbers in a given area.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

HHHHMMM lets see , we got record rainfall this year and I live on an acreage . I guess this might be my problem . But I have lived in tow many years and won't ever go back. So, I guess I can live with the spiders but I would still rather not. Thanks, Raz

Reply to
The Webbers Hilltop Cycle ATV

Big question is, what kind of spiders are they. Mostly all spiders if left alone will not be a problem. Some of which can easily be handled without biting.

Have you looked into what type of spiders they are?

If they're BIG, they could be wolf spiders;

harmless and will avoid you.

Or are they this one;

gives good reason to destroy them since they will bite on contact and cause medical issues in 25% of their bites or so.

I've got the latter in my house actually. Just moved in a month ago and the place was infested. Haven't done much to kill them however. In fact, just general cleaning and living in the house keeps them away since they are indeed recluse.

At any rate, see if you can ID the type of spiders they are before stomping on them. They may be providing a nice service to you by keeping the insect population in your shed in check.

Oh, if you DO seek a pro, they will do a 2 or 3 step process. First will be a toxic bomb that will kill anything living on contact. The second will be a powder based product.

Problem is, spiders breath through their abdomen, which alot of spiders keep off the ground. Without that contact the common sprays do not work.

Have crawl space access under the shed? Try sevin dust at the edge of the crawl space or just under it. Just make sure kids and pets can not get to it.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

i use bug bombs in my shop ,works well on about everything

ds549

Old timers would pickup Hedgeapples and put them areas they wanted to keep spiders away from. They clam it works.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

We use them in the shop and garage, but we sit them on Foil since they tend to mold/rot after a couple months.

Reply to
Leythos

curds and whey?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Yeah, I killed all the spiders in my tool shed and now it is loaded with curds and whey :-)

Reply to
willshak

I use the hedgeapples every year. I place them on Aluminum foil in corners and under the open countertop sections of my workbench. I can't say that they work but I don't see very many spiders...of course I don't see any elephants at all so they must work for them also...:>)

Reply to
Ron H