Sowing a new lawn in UK - concern = LEAVES?

All,

Have just perfected 2000 sq m of soil ready for sowing quality law seed. My concern is exactly when to sow, as there are still leaves o the trees, and if was to sow now in perfect conditions, when the leave fall I'm worries they might stifle the new lawn, esp. as I'd not be abl to rake them away. Do I wait until all the leaves have fallen, afte which sowing time might not be best? br/Bosseye

(BTW - these leaves come from surrounding trees - blown by the wind)

-- Bosseye

Reply to
Bosseye

the Stihl BR400 backpack blower gets the leaves off the new grass without the typical disturbance associated with tooth rakes. then the Stihl HS85 vacuums and shreds with a 14:1 reduction ratio. tools are a wonderful commodity. no tools, then no fun...

oh and as for the best time to seed. what's your average soil temperature these days? different turf type seeds prefer certain soil temperature for a high percentage germination.

best, Jim

Reply to
Jim

I'm curious, what varieties of grass do people in general seed with in the U.K. what seed type do you intend to sow?

Reply to
Leopold Stotch

I,m in the NYC area and only have some travel experience in the UK, but for what it's worth, I would get seeding now. By the time leaves are down, here it's too late and would think it highly likely the same would be true in UK. Here, its optimum time to seed right now. Leaves won't be coming down for about another 6 weeks and won't be finished for weeks after that.

As Jim suggested, a blower is one good way to keep the leaves off.

On another note, depending on how many trees/shade you have, now may not be the best time to seed. In the heaviest shade area of my yard, Spring is by far the best time. Then you have no leaves on the trees for the first part of the grass establishment so you get much more sun, days with increasing light, and no leaves falling to deal with. If it's a part sun area with some leaves, then now is perfectly fine.

Reply to
trader4

Hi,

My need to sow this year is simply the age of my children - they'l need somewhere to play! And also, there's no time like the present...

As for seed mix, I'm expecting to go for the following mix:

20% SAUVIGNON perennial ryegrass 35% MARGARITA perennial ryegrass 20% HERALD strong creeping red fescue 10% DARWIN chewings fescue 10% REGGAE slender creeping red fescue 5% HIGHLAND browntop bent

As for the leaf blower, I actually have a Stihl one which has prove excellent around the yard, and can recommend the brand as I have thei chainsaws, brush cutters, hedge-trimmers etc already.

My concern is walking upon the new seedlings - but I guess over 2000 s metres needs must.

br/Davi

-- Bosseye

Reply to
Bosseye

Ah ha. I was wonderin'. I thought from your original post:

that you were talkin' square miles. Figured you were re-seedin' a front yard down here in Texas. Now I notice the UK in your header. You gotta mix that many grasses to get it to grow over there? That's what they mean when they talk about co-dependency? Only one of those grasses we might have down here is that margarita, but here it's not made with rye.

Good luck with your sowin' and let us know how it turns out.

God Bless

Reply to
xPosTech