Sow grass seed and fertilizer at the same time?

I've been pulling weeds from a lawn and now the lawn is 30% soil and 70% grass
I plan to seed it. Maybe broadcasting over soil and grass or maybe trying to hit only the soil spots.
My question is: Should I sow grass seed and fertilizer at the same time?
If I fertilize and immediately add the grass seed will the fertilizer hurt the seed?
Thanks

right food for seeding though. 12-12-12, or 10-18-10 or many other starter fertilizer blends work better than a high nitrogen summer lawn food.
How big is the turf area in sq ft? (I'll tell you how much food and seed)
--
Kerry toons http://tinyurl.com/5l6qu

You're sure? I was advised by the seed store not to. Appreciate your response but want to be sure you are sure.
40'x40'
Thanks

> You're sure? I was advised by the seed store not to. > Appreciate your response but want to be sure you are sure. > > 40'x40' > > > Thanks >
They were probably referring to weed and feed. Starter fert is what you want, or even winterizer. Just be sure there's no herbicide or pre emerge in it.
I do it with approximately 6000 lbs of seed each year, so yes I'm sure. As was mentioned, use starter fertilizer without herbicide.

--
Kerry toons http://tinyurl.com/5l6qu

I overseed and feed at the same time. The existing grass always grows faster than the germination of the seed--not really a problem. When the grass needs cutting, you just cut it. The new seedlings need the nutrition.
CW
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:54:03 -0400, " Fisherman"

What seed store?? Even the pimpled faced kid @ Walmart knows you put out a starter &Grass seed at the same time. That's why it's called starter fertilizer...
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:47:03 -0400, " Fisherman"

IMHO I wouldn't seed and feed at the same time.
Here's why. The existing grass will burst into growth, cutting off sunlight to the lower grass, and choking it.
I would seed, water, wait, then when it's started growing well, even tiny is fine, then blast it with feed. Now that it's out of the seed it can compete with growing with the already established grass.
hth,
tom
**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *************** Our Newest Site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com (Medical Staffing) ***********************************************************
snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

If this were the case, I wonder how bermudagrass athletic fields and golf courses ever managed to successfully overseed with ryegrass?
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:23:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@intertainia.com wrote:

It's not like it's gonna just burst into a growth.

There is some logic in holding off fertilization for a week or two after sowing. The existing grass can indeed experience explosive growth because of the starter fert. My lawn is doing exactly that right now!
This is particularly true if you are sowing with kentucky blue grass or tall fescue where the seed may take 2-3 weeks to germinate. Meanwhile your existing grass is having a field day.
CW

Becareful taking my side, this is a tough crowd. :-P
later,
tom

***************** Check Us Out ***************** http://www.CarFleaMarket.com Discover low-cost sell my car ads to the web!
Thanks for all the replies!
Just one confusion: Is starter fert simply one without killer and not high in nitrogen?
Thanks again

Kerry toons http://tinyurl.com/5l6qu

Thanks

And while you're at it, I'd rent a slice seeder to do the seeding right, so you get decent germination.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

Pole??