Soil testing

Here in the Peoples Republic, they charge and arm and laig for testing soil at the County Extension. If anybody nose where us pore saps in Calif can send a sample for testing for pocket change, I would sure like to find out.
Guv Bob
GuvBob said:

the County Extension. If anybody nose where us pore saps in Calif can send a sample for testing for pocket change, I would sure like to find out.

Test it yourself. =)
--

Eggs

Chopped cabbage - not just a good idea... it's THE SLAW.

Good advice. But would like to have more than N, K & P and acidity. I suspect one part of the yard (not near the fruit & vegs) may have some contamination from oil. Not enough for a gusher - I think there used to be an oil storage tank on that part of the back 40.

Just out of curiosity, what do they actually charge at the County Extension? Here in NJ, last time I did it which was probably 5 years or so, I think it was about $15, which doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me for an occasional test.
This place does them for $25
https://www.midwestlabs.com/lawnandgarden/purchase-lawn-garden-kit /
But, first thing I'd do is figure out exactly what any place will test for. Here, AFAIK, the $15 soil test was only for the basic soil test and not for a test for oil contamination. I would think you might have to get that done seperately. If oil contamination is your concern, perhaps googling for that will find labs that do it.
But, quite frankly before doing that, I'd make sure I thought through the consequences of getting the results. One being that right now you don't know you have any contaminaed soil. Once you have a report saying you do, then you have an obligation to disclose that to a future buyer. Also, who knows what the laws in CA say about what a property owner who discovers oil contamination is legally required to do.

[...]
===
Yeah, I'm not that curious. It's most likely a disease or pest.