Soil test help

Here are the results of my lawn soil test. Can you recommend soil amendments or treatments? Have rye, fescue and bluegrass in central CT. TIA.

PH 6.0 (plan to add lime) Nitrogen - Very Low Phosphorous - High Potash - Low

Reply to
Danny Noonan

Lime now and 15-0-15 fertilizer next spring.

KC

Reply to
KC

Why wait till Spring to fertilize? Fall is an excellent time to apply ferilizer and will give you a nice green lawn to look at even in winter. You need a fertilizer with Nitrogen, and Potash and little or no Phospate. On the bag, fertilizer is listed as percentages of NPK, ie X-X-X. Over the season, you want to apply to each 1000 sq ft:

3 - 4lbs N nitrogen 0 P phosphate 3 - 3.5 K potash

So, if you find a 40 lb bag marked 15-0-15, it contains 6 lbs of N and

6lbs of K, which is enough for 2000 sq ft for the season. I would apply it divided in 3 applications, one in early Sept, one in late Oct, one in late Mar/early April. The limestone can be put down anytime.

To find the right fertilizer, you may need to go to a pro turn product supplier, like Lesco, as the home centers usually have more balanced products.

Reply to
trader4

There are divided opinions on this subject and I gave the one I was taught. Existing growth benefits but new growth suffers. Rationale is that nitrogen stimulates new growth late in the season and this growth does not have time to toughen up before freezes, thus dying.

KC

Reply to
KC

If you look at the advice of university agricultural services and turf authorities, I haven't seen any disagreement. In fact, most of them state that Fall is the best time to fertilize, as there is much less chance of encouraging disease. If you have any sources that state otherwise, I'd be happy to see them. And I do it every year on my lawn and it looks super, nice and green all winter.

Reply to
trader4

your advice is dependent upon the type of turf one is managing.

are warm season active cool season dormant grasses yet they have different feeding requirements.

leaving the uninformed uninformed allows for increased seed and fertilizer sales resulting in an industry net gain. is it the right thing to do?

Reply to
Jim

I stand corrected. The grasses named by the OP will benefit from fall fertilizing. My advice pertained to warm season grasses which general recommendations state not to fertilize later than August. Which is where the difference of opinion comes in.

Kc

Reply to
KC

[....]

application 30lbs (lbs/3000 SF) 5-10-15 + Iron Pre-E fall, that's usually after august, right? Bermuda grass, that's usually referred to as a warm season grass, right?

do your general recommendations originate from a lowes-guy or a sears-guy?

Reply to
Jim

> both are warm season active cool season dormant grasses

If you read the original post, the question was:

"Here are the results of my lawn soil test. Can you recommend soil amendments or treatments? Have rye, fescue and bluegrass in central CT. "

It's clear the question and answer I gave were for cool season grasses in CT, not warm season grasses. Fall fertilization is clearly appropriate. So save the nonsense about trying to increase fertlizer sales.

Reply to
trader4

I understood you completely, Trader, and you were spot on with your advice.

Bermuda isn't really turf-grass anyway is it? it looks like grass weeds to me.

Reply to
Steveo

> both are warm season active cool season dormant grasses

I did.

LOL -- KC recommends waiting till spring and then you show up selling fertilizer stating "Why wait till Spring to fertilize" thank you for an excellent LOL

never said your advice was inappropriate, did I?

I was attempting to make the point of how different turf types have different requirements.

I am now reminded of how a mind is much the same as a parachute in that neither work well when they are not open.

Reply to
Jim

apply ferilizer

> > > both are warm season active cool season dormant grasses

Perhaps you should take a class in reading comprehension and how to express yourself. Even this latest post makes no sense. You made a snide comment about my advice, accusing me of trying to sell fertilizer, which implies that is the basis for my answer that Fall is an excellent time for the OP to fertilize, instead of waiting for Spring. Which of course is quite silly, because you have no evidence or reason to think I'm in any way connected to or benefitting from people buying more fertilizer. And also, if you can read, in the post you attacked, I spelled out the fertilizer requirements for his turf for the entire season, and only suggested how he divide it up. So, he could use the same amount of fertilizer regardless of when he puts it down. And now you again say I showed up "selling feritilizer." Yet at the same time you say the advice I gave was "not inappropriate."

So, what the hell exactly are you saying? When you figure it out and can put it into writing, let us know.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks Steveo. I was beginning to think I was the only one here that made any sense!

Reply to
trader4

I admitted I was wrong about fall fertilizing the grasses named by the OP. (I happen to be capable of admitting my mistakes). I am not wrong about fall fertilizing warm season grasses, based upon ag universities recommendations.

are trying to make a case based on "super-sod" bermuda which is a hybrid and does not meet the same maintenance requirements of common bermuda, zoysia, centipede. & St. Augustine. Know what you're talking about before you argue.

KC

Reply to
KC

Most golf course use it. Footbal fields? Baseball, Soccer? So yeah, it's a turf grass.

Reply to
Foobar

Not aroumd here they don't.

Reply to
Steveo

That's a trap many in this forum, including me, fall into. We get so used to giving advice about our own locale we forget that other parts of the country/world have different plants & different problems. BTW, what type grasses do ya'll have on your golf courses?

KC

Reply to
KC

LMAO!

Where /do/ they come from? Oh.... I see... G2...

*shakes head*
Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

More of that "I'm superior to you because I use usenet" crap. Why is it that so many usenet people have a really shitty attitude??

Bob

Reply to
Bob