Soggy garden

Our main garden is in a low spot and stays soggy in the spring so we've been digging a drainage ditch through the woods (an old logging road). I estimated it would be about 100' long but when I paced it off today it seems closer to 200'. This is the ditch I started with a garden plow on a small farm tractor a couple weeks ago. Now we are digging by hand. The lower 50' was a wet spot too. We have a ditch dug there and it is draining. From the garden we have about 30' dug and trying to drain. Working both ends toward the middle. We've covered the ditch with old black tarps and metal sheets so there is no frost yet - but with the wind forecast we probably won't make much progress tomorrow. If we get it draining it will aloww us to start planting a couple weeks earlier than in most springs.

http://NewsReader.Com/ 30gb/month

You should see my workboots and the driver's floor of the Jeep LOL Muddy - yes - and it's the real sticky kind.

it.
You're not trenching level ground either, right? Traction could be a problem.
Sounds like real family fun with the better half out there digging with you. Hats off to a good woman!
--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month

No - it's reasonably level. The "trenchers" cost almost as much as a small excavator and don't make a very wide ditch. Yes, she is a good woman. She spent most of her life in cities and dealing with other sane adults so she is learning a whole new way of life in the country with me. LOL

years.
--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month

God bless ya both !!